Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

email to bulk of people

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

hey all! is there any way to send a single email to the bulk of people in just a minute. By bulk i mean as many as i want. might be some random too. thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 rharrison

rharrison

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Computers, malware, security, electronics

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hello MobileMania,

Many modern mail clients support a feature known as CC.

"In e-mail, the abbreviation CC indicates secondary recipients of a message: those who are to receive a copy of a message directed to another. The list of CCed recipients is visible to all other recipients of the message. An additional BCC (blind carbon copy) field is available for hidden notification; recipients listed in the BCC field receive a copy of the message, but are not shown on any other recipient's copy (including other BCC recipients)." - Source: Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia....bon_copy#E-mail

You can use this like a normal recipient field, but enter multiple names to send to.

Rich

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:33 PM

Adding a note to rharrison's already helpful informsation.

"Most" experienced emailers and netizens seriously favor the :bcc feature.

CC: bulk posting is a major problem that disseminates real person's email addresses to the bulk listing of people, most of whom they don't even know.
With cc: bulk addressing, "every" addressed person also get "every" address from the others who are receiving the same email.

Add to that, that some or many may also "forward" the same email, and may even use cc: addressing to bulk forward the email to many email addresses, and you have a geometrically increasing list of people receiving actual people's addresses.

It only takes one "bad-guy" amongst the list to exploit this treasure for purposes of spam or attached malware exploits.

"Many/Most" experienced netizens often inform their "friends" and folks who commonly send them emails: "That I simply will not open and will immediately DELETE any bulk addressed email that arrives in my inbox. If you want to send something to me, have the courtesy of sending it as an individual email, or at least addressed via :bcc. Otherwise, it is not likely to be read by me. Fair Warning!"

This exact event happened to me about 3 hours ago. It was one of those "Black man in the White House" "Torche Virus Hoax" alerts. "Send/forward this to as many people as you possibly can. Better to receive this alert 25 times repeatedly, rather than open the Virus once!"

I happen to know and have the phone number of the newbie emailer who sent the Hoax to me.
I called to inform that it was a Hoax, and that Bulk :cc addressing only made everyone on the list vulnerable to each other without giving them a choice.
____________--

But you say: "I know all these people. They are all good people and not a bad-guy amongst them."
So What!
You've been around the Forums long enough to see how many tens of thousands of "good-guys" get their machines infected on a daily basis.
All it takes is one "good-guy" with an infected machine, to send all those innocent and unsuspecting addresses off to a truly organized bad-guy for propagation of Trojan dissemination.

Use care.
And use :bcc

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:16 AM

thanks for the awareness. i am using it and loving it :)

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

Well said Doug. I told my own mom I would blacklist her if she didn't follow the rules. :)

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

here's a bit of "boiler plate" text that I use.....

IF FORWARDING - Please Delete my e-mail address and
REMEMBER to forward under "Bcc" (blind address) mode,
so that no one can see the addresses to which you are sending
the email. Thank you.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Well said Doug. I told my own mom I would blacklist her if she didn't follow the rules. :)

here's a bit of "boiler plate" text that I use.....

IF FORWARDING - Please Delete my e-mail address and
REMEMBER to forward under "Bcc" (blind address) mode,
so that no one can see the addresses to which you are sending
the email. Thank you.

:thumbup:

#8 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hope we aren't teaching how to spam people :rofl:

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hope we aren't teaching how to spam people :rofl:

I hear ya.
There are other more efficient methods for doing that, which we won't go into here, period.