Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE8 still "Not Responding" after work with CatByte

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mackenzie

mackenzie

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

Have been working with CatByte since 06/25 on other Topic (see below location) and he advised to start a new Topic and to link back to the original topic so that what had been done this far could be reviewed....

http://forums.whatth...howtopic=112826

Ongoing issue with IE8, will open but not load any pages - shows Not Responding. Unable to change Connections > Settings --- also shows Not Responding.

Have found damaged file in Windows > Downloaded Program Files ---- but have been unable to delete or remove also gives Not Responding error message.

Thanks in advance for help on my "puzzle"!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 rharrison

rharrison

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Computers, malware, security, electronics

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

Hello mackenzie,

After reading through your other topic, I picked out one thing that didn't seem to be mentioned (Unless I missed it.) which may be worthwhile trying.

You could check the integrity of Windows XP's system files with System File Checker:

"System File Checker is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files." [Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....em_File_Checker]

Run the System File Checker from the Command Prompt (Start menu, accessories) with: sfc /scannow

If it finds a problem, it will attempt to replace the problematic files from the DLL Cache (%WinDir%\System32\Dllcache\). If the file is not in the DLL Cache or the DLL Cache is corrupted, the user will be prompted to insert the Windows installation media or provide the network installation path.

Hope this may help in someway,

Rich

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

You could also try uninstalling IE8, reboot then reinstall it: http://www.microsoft...er/default.aspx

When you uninstall IE8, it will put IE7 or IE6 back, which ever you had before installing IE8.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Helo Mackenzie. Sure looks like you and CatByte have been quite the journey. Its a drag IE doesn't want to work right.

There are a couple of things I would like to add to the suggestions here.

First of all, you mentioned that you changed from dial-up to satellite. I am going to assume that your dial-up provider was Earthlink. I'm also assuming that Earthlink is no longer your internet provider. If that is the case you should go to add/remove programs and uninstall all that Earthlink stuff. It has a lot of stuff on your computer that should not be on there and can potentially cause problems with your internet.

Next, according to your event logs there have been quite a few errors about Norton anti-virus. I'm not sure if these are related to the work you were doing with Catbyte, and only temporary errors, or if this product is corrupted. Knowing my experience with Norton I would say the product is just not working right. They like to get their dirty little fingers into everything. Can you please tell me where you obtained Norton? In other words, is it provided for free from ISP, or did you pay for it, how much subscription time is left, etc? For now, I think it would be a good idea, at least temporarily, to attempt to completely uninstall all Norton/Symantec related products and install a different anti-virus for the time being. For now, try installing Avast home edition: http://download.cnet...i...&tag=button

Once all those products are removed, try IE and FF again and see how it works.

I would also suggest that you remove the following products as they contain toolbars, browser add-ons, or perform other potentially problematic things on your computer:
Coupon Printer for Windows
CouponBar
Deal Info
McAfee Security Scan Plus (not needed with the other protection you have)
MSN Toolbar
Uniblue Registry Booster

There are some other things that are potential problems, but for now I think you have enough to try. I don't have a lot of time at the moment to review the other things. Please be detailed as to what you experience while performing the suggestions in this thread. Any clues will help.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#5 mackenzie

mackenzie

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

YEAH :yeah: -- I don't know which item did it but IE8 is now open and actually moving freely from one web site to another! I ran the System File Checker - no prompts after run I deleted: ALL Earthlink ALL Norton/Symantec (did not pay for this - included with Earthlink service, which has not yet been canceled because just began new satellite service within last 30 days) Coupon Bar Deal Info McAfee Security Scan Plus (not needed with the other protection you have) MSN Toolbar Uniblue Registry Booster NOT --- Coupon Printer for Windows -- states there is an invalid uninstall control file I installed the Avast that was suggested and it is up and running as well. I did NOT uninstall or reinstall any Internet Explorer files. Any further instructions?

Edited by mackenzie, 08 July 2010 - 07:55 AM.

#6 mackenzie

mackenzie

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

OH - forgot to mention that the "damaged" file still shows in the Downloaded Program Files

#7 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

I'm really glad to hear that mackenzie.

Lets try to fix any file system trouble you may have.

Click start -> run -> type cmd and press ENTER.

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press ENTER. Answer 'Y' to schedule the scan during the next reboot. Then, reboot your computer. This test will correct any file system trouble you may have as well as test for and attempt to fix any bad sectors on the hard drive. It is good routine maintenance. The test will take a significant amount of time so please be patient with it and let the test finish. During stages 4 and 5 note if you see any message about windows replacing bad clusters. This would signify that bad sectors were actually found on the drive and it would be important for us to know that.

Once the test finishes, you can try to get rid of that damaged file in Downloaded Program Files.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#8 mackenzie

mackenzie

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

Everything seems to be working fine now. I did not receive any type of messages during the scan regarding bad clusters. I was able to delete that damaged file in the Downloaded Program Files folder without any problems. What types of routine maintenance should be performed for this machine and any others?

#9 willM

willM

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

Try this, after i once got some junk in my computer i could no longer go online with IE. So this i what i did Tools, --> Internet Options --> Advance --> and do both reset

Edited by willM, 21 July 2010 - 10:23 PM.