This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Explorer crashes

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hiya, I'm having a weird issue in the last few days, where Windows Explorer is crashing quite frequently. It doesn't seem to happen for any consistent reason (like when I'm in a certain program or anything else). I get an error message, it crashes and then the My Documents window pops up. Every time. The only new software I've installed recently is the Ewisoft Website Builder, but I uninstalled it and experienced the same problem again. Any advice? This is super-annoying. Thanks!
It is hard to offer any advice when we don't have a clue about (1) your computer hardware, (2) version of Windows, or (3) the error message. :(
Well, like it says in that box on the left of the forum posts, my OS is Windows XP Pro Version 2002, SP2. It's a Dell Inspiron 530. The error message just says that Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close. What other information would you need?

Well, like it says in that box on the left of the forum posts, my OS is Windows XP Pro Version 2002, SP2.

Well, since you did not indicate that is the computer in question, we have no way of knowing if it is or not. Note that many people have more than one computer (I currently have 9) and many folks come here asking questions on behalf of their friends, relatives and neighbors. So unless you tell us upfront that we are discussing that computer, we cannot assume it is!

Check Event Viewer (Control Panel > Administrator Tools > Event Viewer) for errors moments before the crash.

Have you scanned for malware? I would do a thorough scan. You may have to do this in Safe Mode if the system keeps crashing. If you don't have MBAM, download and install Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) and scan as follows:

Check for updates before scanning,
Select Perform quick scan > Scan,
When complete, click OK, then Show Results,
Ensure all is selected, and click Remove Selected,
When complete, save the log in Notepad to a convenient place for future reference.

If all is clean, you may have to run SFC.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI