I've never had this (weird) problem before and it is very frustrating. It has only started happening since I moved my OS up to XP pro sp3 2009.
When I want to copy a line or several lines of text. the cusor gets some of the way and then blanks out. I have to do it again and again (very slowly and super accurately) and keep my fingers crossed. Worse is when I try to do a large block of text which should be as easy as swiping from one corner to another.
Even more frustrating, is when I am using Gimp or Lightbox to crop an image. I take the dotted cropping tool and try to move and expand it to the area I want cropped and the dotted line just blanks out again and again
My mouse is a very good Logitech and I have never had a problem with it before I moved to XP pro 2009.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Hi Tathra,
Having apparently had this problem for quite some time, you may already have attempted the basics.
Sorry if these suggestions are too elementary or already tried.
If wireless mouse - replace the battery
If USB wired mouse, try a different USB port
Consider Uninstall-reinstall Logitech SetPoint software
Consider updating the driver software via Logitech website
Consider Uninstalling software for Logitech mouse and not use Logitech software at all (I've had a few Logitech mice and never used logitech software)
Consider adjusting various of the Mouse Properties (speed, number of lines moved with scroll wheel, different pointer image, etc.)
____________-
Comparison testing…
Does another mouse function properly on the same XP Pro SP3 machine?
Does the Logitech mouse function properly when used with a different machine?
Physical Environment
Is your mouse on a mouse-pad?
Try a different pad, patterned or solid
Please provide the logitech model number of your mouse in case there is a specific issues that can be researched.
The mouse is a cordless MX700 and I'd only recently replaced the rechargeable batteries.
What I have never done is install the original software that come with the mouse when I bought it. I only required basic mouse functions and the native mouse driver in the XP 2003 OS I had back then worked fine. The mouse even works well in W7 pro. I have installed as a duel boot on my other HD.
On the off chance that the native mouse driver in my XP pro 2009 might be the problem, I took your advice an installed a current driver from Logitech. Bingo, no more mouse problems, except deciding what to do with all these extra mouse button functions!
Thanks for your help Doug.
Dang.
Sometimes we have to buy a bushel basket of produce, just to get one plumb to eat.
Sorry about the "extra stuff", but glad it got fixed.
Best Regards
Just to note….
"Drivers" are amongst the most frequent files to become corrupted by just ordinary wear-and-tear of loading/unloading at boot and other times.
If a Device is not working properly, the "driver" is a good first or early possible culprit to rule out.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI