This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer crashing while viewing online video

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there. I am having a very frustrating issue with watching video online. I was trying to watch some anime online when only a few seconds in, my computer screen went black and I had to force a restart. I thought it may have been website-related so I tried watching video on youtube and it too caused the black screen and restart. However, it doesn't happen on sites like Animal Planet's Whale Wars (and I am stumped as to why it should work there). I am using the newest version of Firefox. I checked out videos on IE and they worked fine, but I really would like to solve this on Firefox. If it matters at all, I am using a brand new Dell Studio 1458 with Windows 7. If any more computer specs are needed I can get them for you. Thankyou in advance, and sorry for my computer illiteracy.
Hey ragles_bagels,

Welcome to WTT!

Have you got any Firefox Add-ons running, and have you got the most recent version of Adobe Flash installed?

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/


Nahumi
Yes, I've got the Flash plugin. Other add-ons include Adblock Pro and the most recent version of Java. I've also got all the newest Shockwave, Media Player, and Quicktime plugins for video as well.
Okay, Try again and when the screen goes blank try pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL. This should bring you to a screen with a few options including "Start Task Manager". Click on that and right click Firefox under applications and click on "End Task". If the screen doesn't come up at all, then Firefox is having quite a big problem. Either way, I suggest you un-install both Flash and Firefox. Then reinstall Firefox, and then Flash afterwards. Make sure you restart your computer after each un-install and install.
I can't get task manager to open because it happens within seconds of the video starting and then the screen goes black and absolutely no keys or functions works. So I uninstalled everything and re-installed it and I'm still having the same problem. Although, after trying to watch video again after re-installing everything I got a sort of error message saying something about display ATI settings. But it disappeared before I could read the thing and click on it. :\
Alright I've installed the ATI driver and I'm still having the problem. I've looked at the Display driver with directx diagnostic tool and it says there are no problems.
Hmmm, okay. Try going to a website that works and start playing a video. Pause the video and right click anywhere on the video. Click settings and a small settings box should pop up. Disable hardware acceleration and try using Youtube again. If that doesn't work, I'll try digging around a bit more. I haven't been able to find anyone with a similar problem yet though, so it might take me a while to track down some sort of fix that doesn't include reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling Windows.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI