Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Computer crashing while viewing online video

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ragles_bagels

ragles_bagels

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

Hi there. I am having a very frustrating issue with watching video online. I was trying to watch some anime online when only a few seconds in, my computer screen went black and I had to force a restart. I thought it may have been website-related so I tried watching video on youtube and it too caused the black screen and restart. However, it doesn't happen on sites like Animal Planet's Whale Wars (and I am stumped as to why it should work there). I am using the newest version of Firefox. I checked out videos on IE and they worked fine, but I really would like to solve this on Firefox. If it matters at all, I am using a brand new Dell Studio 1458 with Windows 7. If any more computer specs are needed I can get them for you. Thankyou in advance, and sorry for my computer illiteracy.

Edited by ragles_bagels, 15 June 2010 - 01:34 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:40 AM

Hey ragles_bagels,

Welcome to WTT!

Have you got any Firefox Add-ons running, and have you got the most recent version of Adobe Flash installed?

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Nahumi
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 ragles_bagels

ragles_bagels

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

Yes, I've got the Flash plugin. Other add-ons include Adblock Pro and the most recent version of Java. I've also got all the newest Shockwave, Media Player, and Quicktime plugins for video as well.

#4 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
    Software Development

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Okay, Does the screen go blank even if the video isn't set to fullscreen?
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr

#5 ragles_bagels

ragles_bagels

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

Yes. I haven't even been able to get the videos full sized before I get the black screen and have to restart.

#6 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
    Software Development

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Okay, Try again and when the screen goes blank try pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL. This should bring you to a screen with a few options including "Start Task Manager". Click on that and right click Firefox under applications and click on "End Task". If the screen doesn't come up at all, then Firefox is having quite a big problem. Either way, I suggest you un-install both Flash and Firefox. Then reinstall Firefox, and then Flash afterwards. Make sure you restart your computer after each un-install and install.
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr

#7 ragles_bagels

ragles_bagels

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

I can't get task manager to open because it happens within seconds of the video starting and then the screen goes black and absolutely no keys or functions works. So I uninstalled everything and re-installed it and I'm still having the same problem. Although, after trying to watch video again after re-installing everything I got a sort of error message saying something about display ATI settings. But it disappeared before I could read the thing and click on it. :\

Edited by ragles_bagels, 15 June 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#8 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
    Software Development

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:51 AM

Okay, this sounds like it could be a problem with Flash 10.1 and it's new GPU acceleration feature.

It might be worth installing the latest ATI drivers to see if that helps :
http://support.amd.c...ob_win7-64.aspx
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr

#9 ragles_bagels

ragles_bagels

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

Alright I've installed the ATI driver and I'm still having the problem. I've looked at the Display driver with directx diagnostic tool and it says there are no problems.

#10 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
    Software Development

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Hmmm, okay. Try going to a website that works and start playing a video. Pause the video and right click anywhere on the video. Click settings and a small settings box should pop up. Disable hardware acceleration and try using Youtube again. If that doesn't work, I'll try digging around a bit more. I haven't been able to find anyone with a similar problem yet though, so it might take me a while to track down some sort of fix that doesn't include reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling Windows.
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr

#11 ragles_bagels

ragles_bagels

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:41 AM

=O It worked! Thankyou so much!

#12 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
    Software Development

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:45 AM

No problem. ^_^
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr