Hi there. Recently I had an issue come up and I am hoping you guys can help me fix it. I have a 32 inch Samsung HD TV that I have been using for my monitor for the last few months. I am using a DVI to DVI cord, with the DVI coming into the computer side via a "DVI-to-normal monitor attachment" adapter (not sure what that plug in is called). When I first plugged it in, I played around with some different resolutions, and after trying some different ones out (and reading the manual) I discovered that the TV needs to have a 1360 x 768 resolution in order to look good. Everything was fine until last weekend, when I left town. My computer was off, and apparantly my roommate unplugged the cord from the TV to the computer in order to use it for something. When he plugged it back in, he put it up into the monitor spot that is built into my computer, rather then one of the two that are for my graphics card. I came back after the weekend, and turned my computer on, with the cord plugged into the wrong spot. Im not sure if that was what caused the issue that I am having now, but I cant think of ANYTHING else really…. anyways to make a long story short my computer booted up in 1200 x 780 resolution, which does NOT look right… I have gone into the control panel and attempted to set it back to 1360 x 768 but that is no longer an option!! Its completely missing from the list of resolutions. I can't figure out what would have made it disappear, and I dont know how to get it back. Please help me!! =]
When you turned the computer on while it was plugged in to the wrong port, what happened? What did you do?
You didn't provide any details about make/model of computer, or model of video card. So, I'm very limited as to what advice I can offer.
Simply upgrading (reinstalling) the video drivers should give you the options you are looking for. Those drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website based on the model you have.
I am using a computer that was originally purchased as a dell XPS 600. Many parts have been swapped out at one time or another. I am running Windows XP on it, and my graphics card is an NVIDIA 7800 GTX. The TV is a samsung LN32B460, which is a 32 inch HD TV that displays 720p. I just checked and actually the cord connection is HDMI to HDTV.
When I first turned my computer on and saw that the resolution had changed, I attempted to change it back in the settings, but discovered that it wasn't there. I tried to figure out what was going on, and looked in the back of my computer to find that it was plugged in incorrectly. So i unplugged it and plugged it in to the correct spot, but there was still no 1360 x 768 resolution option.
I also just updated the graphics card driver, but that didnt help either. There doesnt appear to be any drivers for my TV.
Hey RandAlThor420,
If the TV manual says it can only display at 720p, then the resolution you should be trying to use is 1280 x 720. Chances are the TV was actually scaling down your original 1360 x 768 resolution down to 1280 x 720.
If it still looks wrong at 1280 x 720, you should be able to create a custom resolution in the nVidia control panel. You have to make sure that you're in "advanced" mode to see the "Add Resolutions…" button below the list of available resolutions.
Hope that helps,
Nahumi
The TV manual does not say it can ONLY play at 720P, merely that that is the best quality it is capable of producing. And it also says that 1360 x 768 is the optimum resolution to display. Prior to when this problem began, 1360 x 768 was available as a resolution, and the picture quality was very good. When the problem began, that option was no longer available. I am using 1280 x 720, and while the picture is certainly still usable, it is NOT a high quality picture, as everything appears slightly pixelated and grainy.
I attempted to create a custom resolution, as you recommended, but when i clicked the "test" button, my screen went black and it said "mode not supported". There are several options including obviously the horizontal and vertical settings, but also refresh rate, and color depth. I had the refresh rate at 60hz (the manual recommends this as well) and the color depth at 32. I tried playing around with these settings a little bit but had no better luck.
Thanks for your continues help, I hope we can figure this out =]
On your Dell the internal graphics adapter should not even work when you have an expansion card added. For most Dell's its automatic that it disables the onboard video when an expansion video card is added. This means it should not have given video at all out of that port. The fact that it does suggests that the onboard video card is still enabled. It should not be. Go into your BIOS settings and disable the onboard video adapter.
Next, boot your system, click start -> run -> type cmd and press ENTER. Copy and paste the following two seperate commands: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc
When device manager opens click View -> Show hidden devices.
Expand your display adapters section and delete everything in there. Do not reboot if requested to do so. Just keep deleting the rest of the items that are listed even if the previous one doesn't disappear. Do the same thing for your monitors section. Next, reboot your computer. Allow the video adapter to be redetected. Reboot if necessary, which is likely. Then check to see if you have the proper resolution settings you are looking for.
Is the TV the only display device hooked to this computer?
When you said "Go into your BIOS settings and disable the onboard video adapter" im not 100% sure what that means, but im fairly certain you meant to reboot in safe mode and then go to "my compter" and then "properties" and go to hardware, then device manager, and from there disable any onboard graphics cards. I attempted to do this but i looked at all the hardware and didnt see any other graphics cards besides my NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX. I assume if there was another one it would be listed right next to that graphics card, under the "display adapters" tab, but i looked in ALL the tabs and was unable to find any onboard graphics cards.
On to the next step, I rebooted my computer and followed your step by step instructions. After deleting all adapters and monitors, and rebooting my computer, my screen went through a set up phase, and re installed the drivers (I think thats what was re installed anyways) for my graphics card. After all of that was done, I still show the exact same options as before. Its very frustrating, i CANNOT for the life understand why the correct resolution dissapeared or why it will not let me get it back.. Im at a loss and hope your not!
The TV s indeed the only display device hooked up to this computer.
Again, thanks for your continued help =]
Sorry, I assumed you knew what the BIOS was from you mentioning the system being upgraded.
When I say, go into your BIOS settings I mean you have to press a special key almost immediately after you power on your computer. Typically, on a dell, you will press F2 when the dell logo shows up and the progress bar sliding across the screen. In the BIOS will be a setting to control the behavior of the onboard video, usually. There may also be a primary video adapter selection, which should be set to PCI-Ex.
Can you please clarify if you deleted multiple display adapters including your Nvidia, and whatever the onboard video adapter is? If you did not see multiple display adapters listed then you didn't get the commands right.
Hello ive just registered here because ive had this same problem ever since i updated my video card drivers… BUT if your with amd ive found the solution (for me atleast) go to your start menu and type CCC then press enter go to my digital flat panels(or whatever screen you have), and UNTICK "Enable GPU Scaling" now try to change your resolution back . Hope this helps.