This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

No Beeps from System Speaker

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I just installed everything into a new case - another Cooler Master Centurian 5 (CAC-T05) - including the Abit AL-8 motherboard & I'm getting no beeps from the system speaker (not the computer audio speakers). Pretty sure I was getting them before with the old case, & the case does have a "speaker" wire lead & 4-pin connector coming from the front which I connected to the mobo (tried it both directions). Pretty sure that this case has a speaker - confirmed by Cooler Master & it does have the connector for it, though I can't see where the wire goes in the front with everything now installed. Pretty sure that the Abit mobo does not have a speaker on the board. Is there a way on the Abit AL-8 with Abit Guru or somewhere to do a system speaker test? I imagine the best test is when I don't get a beep on boot-up. Otherwise either it's broke or unavailable on the mobo, or the case speaker is broke (or missing). (?) It's not a real big deal as the Abit mobo has an error led display, but it's one of those trivial things that makes me really wonder what gives. :wacko: Addendum: I thought to check the old case - exact same brand & model - & it does have a speaker at the end of the wire on the front. Addendum2: OK, I went into the BIOS & there is a beep control enable/disable in the guru function, but it won't let me enable it. Whenever I enable it & save it to BIOS, when I go back in it is disabled. So it looks like the Mobo is not allowing beep control to be enabled. Probably because it has an LED display for error codes & this could conflict with the error beep function?
THe beep control is not for the POST beep that you are referring to. It is for the monitoring system that beeps (a horribly annoying two tone sound) when one of the monitoring systems senses a problem. In that same menu you may have to go into the monitoring sections and enable beeps for particular events, such as a fan not spinning or spinning too slow. If you enable beeps for a fan, if you put your finger on that fan and stop it from spinning, unplug it, or set the beeps for a fan that doesn't exist, you will certainly get the horrible two tone beep to test your speaker with. I see no information about why this board won't beep during power on, or if it even does that at all. Some newer boards I notice do not make any beep noises.
Thanks much. The thing is I'm getting no audible beep anytime, whether POST or when I've done like you say and enabled fan warning beep in the BIOS. F.e., my case fans are connected directly to my PSU (not thru the mobo), & when I enable the sys fan monitor & enable the warning beep for the sys fan I still get no beep - just a visual warning thru my Abit uGuru utility. Whenever I enable beep control in the BIOS (or "master beep" in the uGuru utility in Windows), the system keeps just switching it back to disabled. Therefore, whether it's a normal function of the Abit AL-8 mobo to do this or not, it looks like this is a mobo issue, or possibly with the BIOS?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI