Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91803 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How to save the data from Bad CD/DVD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

Hi all, I have a query regarding saving the data from old CDs. I have some old CDs in which I have old pics and data etc. If I try to copy the data from the CD, then it becomes not responding as the CD is very old and has scatches. I just want to know if there is any way (software etc) that I can retrieve the data on my old CDs and then copy to my hard disc or new CD?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

There is no clear solution here, it is pure luck if you get a result or not, I recently bought a Lite-On drive, they advertise it as being the best to read damaged disks due too it's large lens IIRC, so the actual hardware you use can make a difference to the success of reading damaged disks.

Next is the age\condition of the drive, obviously there is no clear way too know, but if the lens is dirty then reading disks may be poorer than if the lens was clean, you can buy lens cleaners quite cheaply, many supermarkets stock them these days, they come in the format of a disk, but on the "data" side it has brushes, often they come with a solution, and you apply this as per the instructions then run the disk in the drive, there is no way to see if it helps, but it can't hurt to try if you are having problems reading disks.

Finally the disk itself, this is the best starting point, as per the drive, you can buy cleaning kits, these sometimes come with a soft cloth and a bottle of liquid, you apply the liquid to the data side of the disk as per the instructions, then use the cloth to rub it in all over the disk, then polish it off, often this will make it possible to read a damaged disk, if successful retrieve the data from the disk and save it too a fresh disk.

Other solutions are similar, but have a disk housing with a handle, then after the liquid is applied you shut the lid then turn the handle, this rotates the cleaning elements around the disk similar to using the cloth, but the same rules apply, you may get lucky, or it may be too damaged to repair, on really stubborn disks it may take a few cleaning cycles before the disk will play nice, but if it still fails after all this then the disk is probably too damaged too save, hope this helps.

Braindead

#3 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for explaining this but I am trying to create the image file of that damaged disc in order to save the contents and then simply exporting the contents of the image file to any folder.

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

Use a disk copy program like Roxio or Nero and see if you can change a setting that will tell it to ignore read errors.

Or, maybe a program like this can help: http://www.softpedia...VD-Reader.shtml

To maximize data transfer you should clean the disc as suggested already. Some devices can actually buff out scratches on the disc because the part that is scratched is just a plastic coating. However, I have never had any luck with these and only made discs worse. I haven't used anything like that in years. I wouldn't really suggest any attempts at buffing the disc other than a basic cleaning.

You are bound to lose some data though. YOu just need a program that will copy and ignore errors. Then what you get is what you get.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#5 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

Thank you all!!!