Boot-up, Hangs-up
3 min read
Hi all, It's been a long time since I've been here. That's a good thing, right? But I'm back and need a little help.
The problem is that my computer (at boot up) hangs up when it gets to my desktop. (that is all it shows) The task bar is missing and I have no control over the computer. It don't happen all the time but when it does I have to manually shut it down and reboot it 3-4 times before it comes all the way up. Now once it does boot all the way it runs great. No lag time or anything like that. Can go page to page,web site to website, run as many programs i want, real fast.
It all started after I had a ( fake alert ) adware to zap me. So i went to Spyware Warrior forum and ran highjackthis. It took the better part of a week (doing a little bit each day) to clean up my computer, but was successful. The last thing i did was run ( in command), disk check, because my add and remove program wouldn't show any of my programs. Well, doing that brought everything back,.but caused this problem i have now.
I'm running XP pro w/ service pack 3, AMD Athlon 64 processor,3800+, 2.41ghz 2.00gb of ram. (Upgraded from 1gb ram to 2gb, new 750 watt power pack. Replaced one bad fan and added two more.) All this after my problem began.
Any help would much be appreciated.
Thanks, Buckeye
1. Showing that you had a fake alert, I would want to think it still my be a possible malware realted problem. May be best to run over to that side of the forum and have a tech help you to see if your not infected or not, this would be my first place to start this process and that would rule out infections.
2. If you are free from infections, then I might look at the ram, either its not seated right, or could be bad.
3. If all of these problems happen after changing out the power supply, it may be a loose connection, which is worth a shot to look at.
This is what I would try first.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI