Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE8 error message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rockitman

Rockitman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

Windows xp sp3 system. IE8 is the browser. Upon execution an error message pops up: Can't find file:///c:/program%20files/AOL%20Toolbar/welcome.html. Make sure path or internet address is correct. After clicking OK, the browser opens and the error message appears again. Clear that, and hit the home button and the browser goes to home page and works fine from then on. What do I need to do to fix this? I've already tried rolling back to IE7, no go. Installed IE8 again, no go. Uninstalled all AOL stuff, no go.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hi Rockitman. What do you mean by Upon execution?

Are you double clicking on the IE8 icon or an AOL icon?

Whichever it is, right click on it and select Properties. What is in the Target field?

For IE8 on my Win 7 system, it's: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Also, what Add-ons are installed?

To see, click on Tools then Manage Add-ons.

Disable all of them and see if the problem goes away. If yes, enable them a few at a time till you find the one causing the problem.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Rockitman

Rockitman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

Upon execution means when I double click the icon. The owner of this pc used to use AOL, but now has broadband so he just opens IE now. I've even gone into C:\program files\internet explorer and doubleclicked iexplore.exe. Same results. Also, already disabled all addins. When I get a chance to look at the pc in question tomorrow, I'll look at the target properties.

Edited by Rockitman, 04 May 2010 - 06:38 PM.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

This behavior can also be caused by malware. If all else looks good, go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 Rockitman

Rockitman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

Where's the procedure I need to fix this "pop-up thing on my computer. Only when I get on Internet Explorer....

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:33 AM

@Rockitman,

You had AOL running on this machine, you have out of date programs that have not been updated, and you have been receiving assistance in this thread here:
http://forums.whatth...408#entry652408

CatByte,was providing you with technical assistance on checking and removing malware from the computer, and had provided you with a script to remove the AOL, and you said you would do this..... but you didn't respond in the above topic and subsequently the topic was closed due to inactivity.....
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate