Windows xp sp3 system. IE8 is the browser. Upon execution an error message pops up:
Can't find file:///c:/program%20files/AOL%20Toolbar/welcome.html. Make sure path or internet address is correct.
After clicking OK, the browser opens and the error message appears again. Clear that, and hit the home button and the browser goes to home page and works fine from then on.
What do I need to do to fix this? I've already tried rolling back to IE7, no go. Installed IE8 again, no go. Uninstalled all AOL stuff, no go.
Upon execution means when I double click the icon. The owner of this pc used to use AOL, but now has broadband so he just opens IE now.
I've even gone into C:\program files\internet explorer and doubleclicked iexplore.exe. Same results.
Also, already disabled all addins. When I get a chance to look at the pc in question tomorrow, I'll look at the target properties.
This behavior can also be caused by malware. If all else looks good, go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions
CatByte,was providing you with technical assistance on checking and removing malware from the computer, and had provided you with a script to remove the AOL, and you said you would do this….. but you didn't respond in the above topic and subsequently the topic was closed due to inactivity…..
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI