This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet explorer gone after HijackThis

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was helping a friend run hijack this in order to get rid of the about:blank (startpage-du.dll) trojan virus.

We ran Hijack this and followed (roughly) the instructions in this log:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=39974

Okay, so I am an idiot for doing that… I realized that it was for a specific user with a specific set of files, but we did not have a lot of time to try to get it fixed.

We went through the steps, and everything seemed to be fixed. However, when we rebooted the system, the Internet Explorer Icon showed up as a generic icon. When you click to open it it goes into the "Open with program list window."

We had renamed and moved a couple of files (javaiq32.dll, msli32.exe, and iprn.exe) After the problem happened, we reverted them back.

We reloaded IE from his original install disk. It advised that it installed it, but it won't fix the problem. We have also had to reload Outlook Express twice. It will allow the reinstall and keep it for a while, then it changes the icon to a generic one, and when clicked shows the "Internet Properties box" showing the Intenet options for home page, etc. Here is the log header from HijackThis after the problem happend:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 4:12:57 PM, on 7/11/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Is there some way to reinstall IE? Do I need to post the log file to the HJT forum?

Right now, my friend can access his email, but not the internet. I will try to be a go between, and promise not to put my own 2 cents in! Would it be better to just fdisk and reinstall everthing?

Thanks
Try this no promises though To repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP, complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator: Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer: Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.
Thanks for the quick response. We did the scannow, it ran, closed and didn't do anything. The IE still didn't work. How do you run the Internet Explorer repair tool? For now I downloaded Netscape, zipped it and emailed it to him. He was able to install it. So he can browse the internet. We are unsure if he still has the about:blank problem. Thanks

Try this no promises though

To repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP, complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator:

Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.


I just wanna give out my GREATEST APPRECIATION to Siggyx for the phenomenal System File Checker tool that I never knew Microsoft even offered. The fact is that I just ran HijackThis not to long ago, and basically (being the idiot I can sometimes be), I checked a few files that I may have needed in order for my internet to actually FUNCTION! Yea, I know bad mistake on my part, but hopefully by the time this thing is done, it'd fix my internet back to a normal state. Anyways, awesome forum, and look forward to coming back to help out others.

Hats off to ya all Techies!!!
-David

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI