Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet explorer gone after HijackThis

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 goodhotcoffee

goodhotcoffee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:08 PM

I was helping a friend run hijack this in order to get rid of the about:blank (startpage-du.dll) trojan virus.

We ran Hijack this and followed (roughly) the instructions in this log:

http://forums.tomcoy...showtopic=39974

Okay, so I am an idiot for doing that... I realized that it was for a specific user with a specific set of files, but we did not have a lot of time to try to get it fixed.

We went through the steps, and everything seemed to be fixed. However, when we rebooted the system, the Internet Explorer Icon showed up as a generic icon. When you click to open it it goes into the "Open with program list window."

We had renamed and moved a couple of files (javaiq32.dll, msli32.exe, and iprn.exe) After the problem happened, we reverted them back.

We reloaded IE from his original install disk. It advised that it installed it, but it won't fix the problem. We have also had to reload Outlook Express twice. It will allow the reinstall and keep it for a while, then it changes the icon to a generic one, and when clicked shows the "Internet Properties box" showing the Intenet options for home page, etc. Here is the log header from HijackThis after the problem happend:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 4:12:57 PM, on 7/11/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Is there some way to reinstall IE? Do I need to post the log file to the HJT forum?

Right now, my friend can access his email, but not the internet. I will try to be a go between, and promise not to put my own 2 cents in! Would it be better to just fdisk and reinstall everthing?

Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Siggyx

Siggyx

SuperHelper

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:53 PM

Try this no promises though To repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP, complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator: Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer: Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

#3 Siggyx

Siggyx

SuperHelper

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:21 PM

Also try running the Internet Explorer repair tool

#4 goodhotcoffee

goodhotcoffee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the quick response. We did the scannow, it ran, closed and didn't do anything. The IE still didn't work. How do you run the Internet Explorer repair tool? For now I downloaded Netscape, zipped it and emailed it to him. He was able to install it. So he can browse the internet. We are unsure if he still has the about:blank problem. Thanks

#5 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

If you download and double click on this small app, it will restore all the default search fuctions for IE.

http://www.spywarein...tools/IEFIX.reg

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#6 goodhotcoffee

goodhotcoffee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:24 PM

If you download and double click on this small app, it will restore all the default search fuctions for IE.

http://www.spywarein...tools/IEFIX.reg

View Post

I will give that a shot, I have emailed him the link.

Thanks

#7 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:48 PM

Hope that works :thumbup:

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#8 L_D

L_D

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:27 AM

Try this no promises though

To repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP, complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator:

Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

I just wanna give out my GREATEST APPRECIATION to Siggyx for the phenomenal System File Checker tool that I never knew Microsoft even offered. The fact is that I just ran HijackThis not to long ago, and basically (being the idiot I can sometimes be), I checked a few files that I may have needed in order for my internet to actually FUNCTION! Yea, I know bad mistake on my part, but hopefully by the time this thing is done, it'd fix my internet back to a normal state. Anyways, awesome forum, and look forward to coming back to help out others.

Hats off to ya all Techies!!!
-David

#9 L_D

L_D

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

oops so sorry for posting on someone's solved topic =( won't do it again... :wacko:

Edited by L_D, 08 January 2008 - 07:11 AM.