This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

My pendrive was infected, now has problems :((( HELP

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

my pendrive (Emtec, 2 GB) was infected by virus "c:\SUD\SSOW\sep.exe", which disabled "autorun" function. My antivirus programm removed both the virus and the "autorun" function, I suppose. I also disinfected it with the Flash_Disinfector, but my pendrive seems to have crushed totally right now, after having this worm… My computer sees it - I have drive G: visible when I plug it in - but when I try to open it or explore, it says: "No drive, Insert drive G:" I cannot format it, I cannot fix it (I get the same alert)… Is there anything I can do or have I lost it irreversibly…? :(

http://forums.whatthetech.com/c_SUDSSOWsep…il_t111667.html
Hi, sorry to hear of the problem with your pendrive.
I see from your logs that you have been using peer to peer file sharing (P2P) on your computer……Limewire, BitSpirit etc.
Using files of unknown provenance is a major cause of malicious code infection and spreading to other users.

There are legitimate uses of P2P but generally it is recommended strongly that these types of file sharing applications should be uninstalled and any downloaded files treated with extreme caution, and deleted securely whereever possible.

the pendrive needs to be formatted again, to be sure, be as you say this is proving difficult, so it may be worth trying to do so in a different machine, and or with a different operating system, but be very careful with the risk of cross infection……… if you have ever used the drive in a machine without running a virus scan on it ( the pendrive) before use, since you last used flash disinfector, then it could be infected again…..
If this doesn't work then you could take a look here:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

If you still have no success then I would be inclined to using the ordinary disc management utility within Windows and delete and repartition the pendrive and reformat it from there……… if this fails then maybe its best to "recycle" the old one and get a new one as they are fairly inexpensive now.(about a pound or two (GBP) or a dollar or four (USD)
regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI