Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Slow loading Firefox & google chrome

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 biankee

biankee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:06 AM

My browser (firefox or chrome) loads very slow on my netbook whenever i go online. this has never happened before and i dont think it has anything to do with my internet connection coz when use the desktop or my iphone, the internet runs normally. it doenst even wanna connect to the itunes store and sometimes even yahoo messenger. i need help badly!!!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:23 AM

Hey biankee,

Could you answer the following questions please :

1. What is the make and model of your netbook?

2. What CPU has it got?

3. How much RAM has it got?

4. What Operating System are you running?

5. What background applications are you running? (iTunes, Anti-Virus etc.)

6. When was the last time you did a full anti-virus system scan?

7. Is your operating system up to date?

Cheers,

Nahumi
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 biankee

biankee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:27 AM

Make & Model: Dell Inspiron 1011 CPU: 1.60 GHz RAM: .99GB OS: Windows XP Home Edition Background Apps: YM, uTorrent, Eset NOD32 antivirus Last antivirus scan: 4/2/10 OS is up to date. :)

#4 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

Okay. Not a bad netbook, so in terms of hardware it should be running Chrome or Firefox just fine.

There are four things that can make a netbook run particularly slowly :

A . Background applications running at startup such as Yahoo Messenger and uTorrent.

B. Bloatware on the netbook.

C. Running off battery.

D. A virus.

We'll try to deal with options A, B and C first. If they don't improve your performance, it might be an idea to head over to the Malware section of the forum to really double check that your netbook doesn't have an infection.

Option A

The reason background programs can be a problem is that they force your netbook to start a lot of programs at once. A netbook has limited power in terms of the CPU and RAM. To have a quick netbook, you want to stop these programs from starting.

To stop applications from running do the following:

1.Go to your Start Menu and click "run".

2. Type "msconfig" and hit enter.

3. Go to the "Startup" tab and untick the boxes of services you don't want to start. Do not untick any Microsoft services or anything important to the running of the netbook. (If you are unsure, simply post the services you wish to stop in your next post).

4. Click Apply and close the window.

5. Right click on your Start Menu and click Explore.

6. Click Programs Folder and then click on the Startup Folder.

7. Delete any unwanted shortcuts in this folder. This will stop those programs from starting up.

Option B

A lot of netbooks these days come with a lot of installed software, or Bloatware. Simply go to your Control Panel and then go to "Add or Remove Programs". Uninstall anything you don't want or recognise. Make sure you don't uninstall any drivers (such as Intel Graphics drivers or touchpad drivers). Look out especially for anything by Oberon, it just tends to be junk.

Option C

Option C sounds fairly trivial, but running a netbook off battery , depending on your power settings, can severely slow it down. Dell will probably have put a standard power setting on your netbook which halves the speed of the processor when running of battery. Either choose a different Power Setting by right clicking the Battery icon in the bottom right of your screen and choose something like High Performance, or plug then netbook into the mains.

On a side note, running uTorrent will have a big impact on your netbook's performance. Your netbook will be constantly seeding and/or making connections to other peers. Depending on what and how much you download, your ISP can "throttle" your connection. They essentially slow down your connection to stop you from using torrents.

I suggest that if you are using uTorrent for legitimate reasons, run it only on a PC and not on your netbook. In all other cases, just uninstall it. File sharing, whether it be legal or not, slows down your connection and your netbook.

On another side note, your browsers may be slowing down if you are viewing pages with flash content. When using Chrome, press Shift and Escape simultaneously. This will bring up the Chrome Task Manager. From this you can see if any given page is taking up a lot of resources to run.

If none of the above works, it could be Option D. Head over to the Malware forum to double check that your netbook isn't infected.

I hope that helps.
Nahumi
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#5 biankee

biankee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:16 AM

thanks so much!:) so far it's back to normal already. i hope it doesnt slow down anymore. Thanks again! --biankee ;p