This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP Pro Set up on used Hard drive

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all and anyone that can help me with this.

On a quick note: had to buy a used Hard drive of ebay, and now I am installing my XP Pro.

It shows and exisiting partition:

28616 MB DISK 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 (CLEAN) [NTFS] 28616 MB < 28550 MB free>


Granted, this Hard drive is not from the manufacturer , so I dont know its history, should I delete the partion altogether and start from scratch? I am afraid I will "blow" the hard drive and not be able to re-install xp upon deletion.

Should I proceed with the Xp install, or delete the partition?

Thanks for all the help
Delete the partition, then create a new one of the maximum size allowed (should be the same as it currently is). Select the new partition to install to and format it as NTFS. XP should install fine to it. Deleting the partition will not harm the drive unless it's already defective, in which case it's better to know that sooner than later :(

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI