Hi there,
My Dell Latitude D820 running XP began getting phony security warnings, and then a malware called VirusSoft blocked access to the internet and also other functionality. When I try to boot into safe mode to download the software you suggest and the diagnostics that you ask to be run before filing a topic, I get a blue screen with, in the lefthand corner, a squiggly dash mark, a space and a question mark. So I'm having trouble even getting started.
I would appreciate any help you can provide.
Best regards and thanks in advance.
My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
I am a little unclear. Are you able to boot up your system normally and just can't access the internet that way? Do you have your Operating System disk?
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your response – I really appreciate your help.
To clarify, when I turn on the laptop, it appears to start up normally, but quickly (within a few seconds) begins flashing security warnings and then a large window running a fake security scan opens and attempts to direct me to download a security suite. I am unable to launch any applications, including a Web browser – when I do a dialogue box opens that says the application is unavailable.
I have an operating system disk (it says "Operating System: Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2") but I'm not sure if it belongs to the laptop or to my desktop, both of which are Dells running XP.
Thanks,
Patrick
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop on the "good" computer.
Then copy it onto a thumb drive or whatever you have that will allow you to transfer it over to your "bad" computer and then save it to the desktop there.
Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure there is not a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and but is a checkmark placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot (shut down your computer then restart it).
Hi Tom,
Well, when I went back to the laptop, it is now showing a blue screen again. Specifically, when I start up the computer, it brings me to a screen that asks me how I want to start (normally, in safe mode, in safe mode with networking, etc.). No matter which option I choose, the next sight I see is a blue screen with, in the left-hand corner, a squiggly dash, a space, and a question mark. No buttons on the computer respond when I press them. I'm at a standstill.
Let me know what you think. I appreciate your help.
Patrick