This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Disabling Security Programmes

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys I am following the instructions on ARE YOU INFECTED and got to the section headed REQUIRED DIAGNOSTIC SCANS when I hit a buffer that I need some help with. I am running McAfee but not the versions sampled on the linked thread (http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_Disable_your_Security_Programs_t96260.html) I cannot work out how to disable my McAfee, but don't know if it's because I'm a techno-zero or whether either McAfee or my unwanted intruder won't allow it? Hopefully this will help; If I hover over the toolbar I get the message 'McAfee OAS: Enabled' If I right click I get a dialogue box with the option DISABLE ON ACCESS SCAN but this option cannot be selected From the same dialogue box if I select About VirusScan Enterpise it tells me I am running ver8.5i What to do/where to go now please? Thanks in advance.
These are the instructions I have for disabling McAfee

If you cannot disable it, consider uninstalling it and staying off the internet (except for downloading tools we require) until you are clean, then reinstall it if you wish.


Open McAfee Security Centre
  • Under Common Tasks click on Home
  • Click Computer Files
  • Click Configure
  • Make sure the following are disabled by ticking the "Off" button.

    Virus protection
    Spyware protection
    System Guards Protection
    Script Scanning Protection (you may have to scroll down to see it)

  • Next, select never for "When to re-enable real time scanning"
  • and click OK.
CatByte Thanks for trying to help, I'm still struggling to make progress though. If I go to START, PROGRAMMES then McAFEE I get three paths 1 ON ACCESS SCAN 2 ON DEMAND SCAN 3 VIRUS SCAN CONSOLE Had a quick look at these three for clues, does any of this help anyone to help me?? Path 1 has check boxes under SCAN OPTION for BOOT SECTORS FLOPPY DURING SHUTDOWN ENABLE ON ACCESS SCANNING ON START UP Should I consider unchecking any of these boxes? Path 2 has a SPECIFY WHERE SCANNING TAKES PLACE option currently showing as MEMORY FOR ROOT KITS RUNNING PROCESSES ALL LOCAL DRIVES I appear to have the option to remove these permissions Path 3 has four items enabled, the first three can be disabled ACCESS PROTECTION BUFFER OVERFLOW PROTECTION ON DELIVERY E-MAIL SCANNER and ON ACCESS SCANNER which cannot be disabled from here. Grateful for any further help from the community, cheers.
To open McAfee SecurityCenter: 1 Right-click the McAfee icon in the Windows system tray. 2 Click Open SecurityCenter. once in the Security Center follow the previous instructions
CatByte, I'm genuinely grateful you're trying to help but the information you're trying to give me doesn't tally with what I can do. Accessing McAfee off the toolbar (right click) doesn't bring up Security Centre as a menu option, the options I get are; VIRUSSCAN CONSOLE Disable On Access Scan ON ACCESS SCAN PROPERTIES ON ACCESS SCAN STATISTICS ON DEMAND SCAN Update Now ABOUT VIRUSSCAN ENTERPRISE The ones in CAPITALS can be opened from this menu but none lead to Security Centre. I am running McAfee on my laptop and that gives me the same options, except the Update Now is functional, suggesting that this version is out of date. Should I just get rid of McAfee and, if I do, what should I consider in its place? Thanks again
CatByte, ignore the above - I think I have found the way in to Security Centre, just its not off the McAfee icon. Off to explore… Thanks again for previous help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI