This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

first time builder need advice

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

just wanted to get your guys advice about this setup and if everythings compatable for this gaming computer and if i missing anything besides a key board and monitor. any advice is welcome. this is my first build and trying to build something that can last me awhile with few upgrades in the future. trying to keep the budget around $3000. i also was thinking about soild state hard drives but dont kno if i should wait to up grade later or add it to this build.

power supply - OCZ Z Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active … - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817341028

case - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811119160

motherboard - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16813131614

video card - XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card … - Retail X 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814150443 X 2

cpu/processor - Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model AT80601002727AA - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115216

memory - Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 998691 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820226050

hard drive - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16822136322

cd/dvd/blue ray - Pioneer Black Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer SATA Model BDR-205BKS - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16827129051

heat sink/ fan - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16835186134
I am pleased to see someone appreciating the value of a quality PSU, instead of trying to skimp getting just enough for they're needs, I think it's a good choice, PCP&C are the Rolls Royce in this field (assuming the goal posts haven't moved), and if you wanted\needed to save some money they have a 750w unit for $100 US (CBA'd with pennies) that will serve nicely, the 1200w units are a fair bit more, so I think you have a good choice there.

The case equally is a nice choice, nothing against it as such, I haven't seen it up close, so can't be sure on the grills etc allowing dust in, but thats my only thought against it, here are a couple of alternate choices should you wish to consider other options, but as your obviously aware a spacious case is a must with these new video cards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811163135
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811119138

Your motherboard and CPU should be fine, but incase you missed it they offer a combo deal on these, might save you a bit of money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet…st=Combo.321542
They also have other variations on combo deals if you haven't seen them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombo…e=10&page=1

Video looks a good choice, especially with the warranty so should be good.
RAM, again nothing against it, but have heard good things about Patriot, so here is an alternate choice if you wanted to compare them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820220385

Now hard drive I suggest forget about Raptor's, great drive, BUT, alternate choices we have today make it very over priced for what it is, I have 3 Raptor's myself in raid0 (150gig normal ones), but if I were buying again today, I would definitely not get them again, not even these newer ones, I strongly suggest going for these instead, you can get 2 for the same price, so you could set up a mirrored array and have it as a back up drive to be safe, or else put them in raid0.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16822136284

Blueray looks a good choice, and heatsink is also good, but a slightly dearer choice should you wish to consider it, is the following, great make, bigger fan pushing a large amount of air (near double your choice), and as your into gaming this may be beneficial to you, but be aware, comments say it is massive, and one review said it only just cleared they're ram, so look closely, but to be fair a lot of these large heat-sinks can come tight on the ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16835106125

Generally you seem to have made some great choices, so no need to change any of them on the grand scale of things, but my hope is my suggestions help you get the best for your money, and whichever way you go it should be a really sweet system, I'm jealous lol, good luck.
I'm not sure if I'm intruding or not, however there is another alternate to the Western Digital HDD that 8210GUY suggested.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…2-102-_-Product

The reason I suggest that is that you are obviously looking for a particularly quick hard drive (presumably for gaming). Both HDD's have three platters, which means that it is slightly quicker than most other HDD's and is likely to have a longer life time. The Samsung Spinpoint is actually a tad cheaper, so if you're trying to save a bit of cash I'd go for that one.

Also if you're looking for longevity, I'd wait until nVidia releases it's new GF100 series. Obviously I wouldn't recommend buying one, (mainly because they are reported to run extremely hot and are likely to cost the earth), but it will force ATi to up it's game in order to maximise their current lead over nVidia regarding DX11 capable hardware. So you'll probably see that the Radeon 5970 will drop in price dramatically and be replaced as ATi's flagship by some sort of dual GPU monster. So if you can, wait until the summer and see if you can get deals on a couple of 5970's, instead of the 5870's.
No not intruding at all, this is the way people get the best advice when everyone adds they're points for the op to consider, and yes the F1 is\was certainly a good drive, I would of suggested it myself only a month or so back, but there are quite a few of the F1's going bad, the F3 is the better choice if you needed another drive to consider, much better performance than the F1 from what I've heard, but I tend too favour WD's because they are the only make to not let me down so far, and the performance difference is not that great between them, but the F3 is certainly a good choice, better than the F1 which at that time was very good, but track record so far is not impressive IMHO, but still a good call.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI