This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

New system - 1st build

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm basically building a computer for gaming… Here's what I've picked out so far: Motherboard - DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD - Model #:790FX-M2RS Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Model #:ADX6000CZBOX Video Card - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported - Model #:512-P3-N801-AR Power Supply - Linkworld LPG2-43-P4-IO 630W ATX12V - Model #:LPG2-43-P4-IO Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - OEM - Model #:WD1600AAJS DVD-ROM Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive - OEM - Model #:DDU1615/B2s Ram - Kingston 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5K2/2G Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Model #:CAC-T05-UW OS - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM - Model #:66I-01939 Total cost about $740 on newegg Am I missing anything? Is everything compatible? Is the Vista product I picked out the full version or do I need additional software? Any suggestions on changes would be appreciated, although I would like to keep the cost below $800. Thanks!
Hi WeaponX

Hmm, not much of hardware-geek.

But I would go for another PSU. LinkWorld aren't known for their top-of-the-line
PSU's. In-expensive yes, reliable no. They tend to have a rather low MTBF. Find one with two
12V Rails if you're building a gamer, which the one you selected haven't. High-End games will
put a lot of stress on your Graphic Card, and the weakest link will lose out in the end,
in this case the PSU.

A thing to consider, altho minor. Choosing 64Bit Vista, will "only" allow you to install digital signed
drivers. Not a bad thing in itself, but many gamers experiment with a lot of different drivers. And a
whole lot of them will not be digital signed because they have been altered to accomodate some
feature not included in the original version. That said, 64Bit system tend to be a lot more stable…..

Just my opinion.

Regards Abydos

I'm basically building a computer for gaming… Here's what I've picked out so far:

Motherboard - DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD - Model #:790FX-M2RS

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Model #:ADX6000CZBOX

Video Card - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported - Model #:512-P3-N801-AR

Power Supply - Linkworld LPG2-43-P4-IO 630W ATX12V - Model #:LPG2-43-P4-IO

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - OEM - Model #:WD1600AAJS

DVD-ROM Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive - OEM - Model #:DDU1615/B2s

Ram - Kingston 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5K2/2G

Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Model #:CAC-T05-UW

OS - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM - Model #:66I-01939

Total cost about $740 on newegg

Am I missing anything? Is everything compatible? Is the Vista product I picked out the full version or do I need additional software? Any suggestions on changes would be appreciated, although I would like to keep the cost below $800. Thanks!


Looks like a decent set up for the price, but I do have a few comments:
1. Windows Vista = Nono for gaming, even with the recent performance update, it still pale in comparison to XP, and XP is cheaper too (not to mention Microsoft just announced that they are keeping xp alive)
2. Personal Preference here: The case, obviously most people prefer mid towers, but I find that they are a pain to put together if you have larger parts, video card specifically, I tend to gravitate towards full towers, but thats just me
3. for the PSU, you may want to move more towards name brands for reliability here if anywhere (Antec and Coolermaster are good, I really like rosewill because its both shiny and reliable :D
4.64-bit OS's while nice for performance, are usually trouble, not enough drivers are made for them, as the drivers have to be redone, and most companies don't bother with it, you're best off with a 32-bit OS
5. Another opinion here: AMD is starting to lose some ground for performance (well they have been for the last few years now, you may be better off going with a moderately price quad-core CPU/mobo combo from Newegg, it'll put in a better position for upgrading later
6. One last note, not completely necessary, you may want to get 2 x 2gb sticks instead of 4x 1gb sticks, that way if you ever REALLY wanted to add more, you will still have 2 slots

Overalls looks like it could be stable, not bad for a beginner :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI