This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blank Dialog Boxes and WMP Error

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer was recently infected with malware. I posted my issue on Spyware Warrior and an expert in that forum helped me resolve the issue. However, after the malware was removed I began experiencing problems with my dialog boxes and Windows Media Player. More specifically:

When trying to view any one of the following dialog boxes, the dialog box appears to be empty or partly empty:
- Search Companion
- User Accounts
- Windows Update
- Help and Support
- System Restore

When you try to start Microsoft Windows Media Player, a "An internal application error has occurred" error message appeared.

Internet Explorer is not able to print. When I click File, and then click Print, the Print dialog box does not appear. The print preview is blank.

The Spyware Warrior expert that assisted me attempted to help me fix the issue by repairing damaged registry keys. However, the issue persists and he referred me to this forum for further support since this is a topic outside of his expertise.

My Spyware Warrior post can be found at: http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=32292&start=40 under the "Infected with XP Antivirus Pro" topic.

Please let me know if this is an issue that anyone can help me resolve. Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Thanks for the quick response! First, when I tried to register regsvr32 jscript.dll the following message appeared: DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll failed. Return code was:0x80004005. Next, I successfully registered regsvr32 nusrmgr.cpl. When I tried to register regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll, the following message appeared: mshtml.dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered. Any thoughts on what's wrong? Also, I no longer have my original Windows XP disk.
Found the following here: Post by qella3, near the bottom

1) Download SubInAcl at Microsoft Download Center SubInACL (SubInACL.exe) and install it.
2) Open Notepad and paste the following into it:

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f


3) Save the file to your Desktop as reset.cmd (Remember to change the file type to "all files" and not just "Text")
4) Find reset.cmd on your Desktop then double click it to run it.

After the command finishes running, try the regsvr32 jscript.dll again. The 0x80004005 error should be taken care of
Hi Ztruker, Thank you for your help!!!!! My issue has been resolved. Once I was able to register jscript.dll, I no longer had issues with blank dialog boxes and Windows Media Player. Thank you again for such a quick response. Best regards, Jackson2000

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI