I have a Dell 2 Core Duo running Windows XP SP3. I have Sophos Antivirus loaded on the machine. This is what is going on:
I can boot up to the desktop on all users network domain/local domain. When I look at a page (for example Control Panel) on the left hand side of the page it is all black (no icons). Also, when I click on the IE Explorer and/or Mozilla Firebox icon I get the following message:
Unable to Locate Component with the following MSIMG32.DLL missing.
I have scanned with the following:
Sophos Anti-Virus
Malware Bytes
ATF -Cleaner
Each picking up infectious files and able to clean them successfully.
However, I am still have the same effects.
One other thing is…when I go into Control Panel, the icon for Add and Remove Programs is not there.
The computer is a Teacher computer and I was told a student tried to download some music from the Internet. That is why I am suspecting a bug in the system.
Could use some help on the one.
Thanks in advance
This sounds like a school computer, you should contact your IT Department for help. I have no idea whats going on on your system, this computer really should be pulled off line as to not infect the rest of your schools network.
Do you have the windows CD for this computer ?
Go to Start> Run and type this in sfc /scannow Then ok, You may or may not need your windows CD, if you have a i386 folder on your C:\drive you may not need the CD. What this will do is scan your system and replace any missing or corrupt windows files. You will see nothing happen, it just closes when its done. Reboot your system and try IE and see if that MSIMG32.Dll missing error went away.
If its ok with your school than run this scan .
Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from here and save it to your desktop.
Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<info.txt (<