This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

After malware removal no internet connection.

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys, Sorry if this seems like a lot of other posts on here. I recently deleted a malware thing pretending to be a anti-virus application. Before I go on sorry if my words aren't great when it comes to the tech speak. Since I did the malware removal I am unable to get online on the desktop pc, although I can connect through the girlfriends laptop. I am unsure of what details you require but I'll give you some of my pc's spec and hopefully we can go from there! System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3 Registered to : Mark 76487-OEM-0011903-00102 Computer: Intel ® Celeron ® CPU 2.66Ghz 2.66Ghz, 521MB of RAM if thats the wrong info sorry, I have just found system information and it says on the Internet>file versions and it shows iecont.dll and iecontlc.dll both not available could this be the source? And if so can i replace them? Many thanks for your time and help in advance it's really appreciated. Regards Mark
Hi Mark, welcome to WhatTheTech.

Could use a bit more information though :D

What is the make and model number of your computer?

How did you delete the fake AV infection? Were you following directions from somewhere? If so can you post a link to the thread please.

I would also like to know how you connect to the Internet? Is it via a cable or DSL modem? Do you have a Router? If so, are you using a Ethernet connection or a Wireless connection?

Click on Start then Run and paste the following into the Run box, exactly as show, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI