This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Snag in new build.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey, I've just built a new rig out of new parts mixed with old parts. New parts: AMD Phenom II 955 BE Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 Antec 300 Sony DVD Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 2 Extra fans Old Parts: XFX 9800 GTX+ BE Samsung F1 750GB HDD Netgear W311v3 Hi-Power 800W PSU I've update the BIOS to the newest non-beta version, which all went fine. Initial CPU temp was 45C, then went down to 28C. (I think another couple of degrees will come off as the TIM settles). Now the snag is that for some reason the keyboard stopped working. I had two HDD's in the old rig (which I have now restored to it's original factory hardware). To make sure I kept all my stuff, I installed Windows 7 onto the old 250GB HDD. For some reason it worked okay until I took the Samsung F1 out and it came up with a boot failure. I guessed there was something wrong with boot.ini, so I reinstalled Windows 7 on the old rig and its all working properly now. The boot.ini on the 750GB is unchanged, so it comes up with the option of choosing which OS to run, but the first time that came up the keyboard stopped working, which stopped me from choosing the right Windows 7 to run. I then reset the PC and was able to get into the BIOS and move around with the keyboard. After another reset, I was no longer able to get into the BIOS, presumably because the keyboard has stopped working. The keyboard is wireless and made by Fujitsu Siemens, (came with the original PC a few years ago). I've tried replacing the batteries and plugging the USB sender/receiver in different USB ports. I'm certain that the USB ports are getting power. So short of going out to buy a new keyboard, has anyone got any suggestions? I suppose it's possible that the keyboard has gone bust, but I'm not too sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Nahumi
Nevermind, I was able to figure it out.

Apparantly when you update the BIOS on Gigabyte Motherboards, it resets the settings so that USB Keyboards and USB Mice are Disabled. I was able to get back into the BIOS and change the settings and the keyboard works again. The mouse doesn't, but that's just an issue with Windows drivers I think.

So if anyone else has a Gigabyte Mobo, when you update the BIOS, double check your settings to make sure USB Keyboard and Mice are enabled.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI