This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows doesn't install, hardware/software issues?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

A few months ago I had a major viral problem on my WinXP system, it got too much of a hassle to take care of using normal methods so I just reformatted and installed Win7 build 7022 (I'm pretty sure it was 7022). Everything was fine for about a month, but then after a while the system started rebooting itself increasingly often. Before I got around to fixing the problem (whatever it might have been), I got a blue screen, but didn't catch what it said. Anyway, afterwards I was debating whether this was a software or hardware problem and thought that maybe the system was overheating. I checked BIOS settings and sure enough the temperature was steadilly rising, but I didn't think it was enough to cause such problems (CPU temp would get to around 60 degrees in a half an hour), of course I can't be sure 'cause I didn't check what the temperature was when the CPU would actually be performing something that uses resources. I decided to rely on wishfull thinking and attempted to format and reinstall Windows again, only this time I tried Win7 build 7077. The format went alright and the installation would copy the files needed for installation, but then when Windows was loading I'd get a DOS screen saying "BOOTMGR missing". I read about this online and tried fixing the startup using the Win7 boot cd. It didn't work, obviously. I left the computer alone for a few weeks, 'cause I have a few other ones that I can use, but recently I decided to give it another shot with Win7 RC, but during installation I'd get a "Windows cannot copy files necessary for installation" message. I realize that reasons for this issue can be many: RAM, HDD, Power, or possibly Mebroot or something. My question is how do I find out what the problem might be? Any help is appreciated;]
Go to the recovery console (command prompt) using your Windows installation disc. Run the command chkdsk /r and scan for bad sectors on your hard drive. Sound likely the drive is bad.

On a side note, I don't know why you are using beta software while trying to diagnose a problem. Why not put a Windows XP disc in there and see how the system responds? Something tried and true just might change your luck.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI