MustangDJP
Topic Starter
I have a Sony VAIO LT-25E All-in-One desktop that I would like to upgrade. Here are some specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5450 (1.66)
Graphics Chipset : Mobile Intel® PM965 Express Chipset
–Processor : NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT GPU with Total Available Graphics Memory of 1535MB (max.)
–Video RAM : 256MB dedicated video memory
Hard DriveCapacity : 500GB; Speed : 7200rpm; Type : Serial ATA
Memory Installed : 3GB (2GBx1+1GBx1) PC2-5300; Speed : 667MHz; Type : DDR2
–Maximum : 4GB
So, my main reason for upgrading is for improved graphics on video games. I currently only play City Of Heroes, which with these specs I can run on max settings @ 1680x1050 with no problems. But they are releasing an update, deemed "Ultra Mode", that will greatly increase the graphics of the game. While this is not a required setting, it would be nice. The minimum card they recommend is a Nvidia 9800GT, then a GeForce GTX 260 (mid-range), and finally a GeForce GTX 285(close to max).
I know that the graphics chipset is PCI-Express x16 1.0, and all the "recommended" cards are 2.0. I also know that the chipset will accept extenal graphics, as well as integrated, so I assume I can change the card. That is my first question: Would there be any fallback to changing the cards?
Also, other than a new power supply, what else would be needed to upgrade? I will most likely add the final 1GB of memory it can hold, I guess my main concern is if I can change the card, and if so, should it be one of the recommended cards, or a PCI-Express 1.0 card, like a ($66.99) GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card? This card would not be able to handle the new graphics of the game, which would kind of defeat the purpose of upgrading, since I could not enable "Ultra Mode". But it would make normal setting run much better/smoother.
Could my relatively old system handle this upgrade also?
Thank for the help.