This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Recommendations Needed for Graphics Card

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My specs.. Vista Home Premium Model: Asus CM5570 Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.34GHz Memory: 6.00GB Ram System: 64-bit My goal: Currently playing (raiding) on WoW on low settings due to FPS lag. My friend has roughly the same computer with an ATI radeon 4800 series card and he can play the game on ultra settings. I found a card (Visiontek Radeon HD 5670) and was wondering if this would be suitable. *Im 95% sure that my motherboard has a x16 express slot available (which is required). Help!
According to the specs it does have 1 PCIe x 16 slot so you can use that card.

BUT - you MUST ensure your power supply can support it first - both in power, and necessary connections. According to the card's specs it requires a minimum of a 400 W supply. I don't see where it requires a separate power connection, but I recommend you download the manual from the maker's site before buying and read up on it.

I found a card (Visiontek Radeon HD 5670) and was wondering if this would be suitable.


Like everything in life, it"s horses for courses so putting a V8 in a VW beetle was never one of the greatest of ideas.

You have a ASUS - P5QL-VM EPU mobo in your PC. In other words, a low end and dated old generation DDR2 mobo . A HD 5670 is a new generation card and IMHO would be a waste of card and money.

This card would be a much better (and a lot cheaper) choice $40 GeForce 9600 GT (9 x 4" room required so check) and would fine for your PC and it's PSU.

With a better PSU than the (no-name) 300W item fitted to the Asus CM5570 you could go up to a 9800GT or even a 9800GTX (both high-end last generation cards) with this decent quality PSU at a good price.

Just remember, if you want to have much better video experience and a decent gaming performance, your case will need better cooling which is noticeably absent in your PC model.

Unless you wish to do the upgrades I've mentioned, I would settle on and not go above the 9600GT card I recommended. You will be surprised at the improvement it will make to your Asus CM5570.

Cheers,
Lee

What is the fastest way to check my power supply?

We posted at the same time so I missed you question.

It took a very good search to find out what your PSU power is (and also what the motherboard is) and Asus doesn't say and neither do any of the PC sellers. NOBODY knows the brand of the PSU so I'm guessing it's a cheapy from China with no brand. But it's a 300W.

Just remember with the advice I provided in my last post, here is a little more worth remembering - You do anything more than open the case, you void the warranty. If it has already expired, no worries.

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI