This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Conflicting IP Addresses

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, If I have selected the wrong place please move my post. :)

We have a Netgear WPN 824v2
I think it's this one..
WPN 824

2 of our PC's get knocked offline and we get an error message. that says there is a conflicting IP address. We have 4 PC's attached to the Netgear.

The problem started when my brainiac oldest son thought he would set his laptop up to wireless and had no idea how to do it, changed something as far as IP addresses. :pullhair: I don't know exactly what he did.
He scratched that idea and bought a cat 5 cord. Now I get this error balloon on my PC and my sons in the same room just don't connect. Intermittent internet.

Thankx bunches…Lynne

Attachments:

Hi just follow the instructions in the link and make sure no machine has the same IP address…you will need to check on each machine. Whilst you are checking this also check the name of each machine as they should all be different….(Start>Right click My Computer>Properties>Computer Name and change if two have identical names. Regards paws
Hi Paws. I read that link. I just wanted to suggest that this might be the opposite of what the OP should do. In other words, the link suggests setting a static IP address which the OP is not going to have a clue what to use. Instead, the OP should make sure that both options are set to "obtain automatically." Most likely his Son set a static IP address on multiple computers, and instead they need to be set to obtain automatically. If everything is set to automatic and you are still having problems then we should look at a deeper cause of the issue. Once everything is set to automatic, this issue should be able to be resolved by shutting ALL computers on the network down. Then, unplug the power to the router and allow it to reset by waiting a few seconds and plugging it back in. Once the router is up and running you may turn the other computers back on one at a time. The DHCP table should be cleared out and each computer should receive a different IP address eliminating any further messages.
Thats got it I think. I haven't been booted in hours. :D Thanks so much for that web site tho. I have been scanning thru the topics. There's a lot of useful information. ;) It's book marked.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI