This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Please help remove: Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk]

24 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Let me know if this helps:

Download this > http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/…xes/Inherit.exe

Drag each of the exe files that you are denied access to run into Inherit.exe.

Then wait for it to say "OK"
Inherit won't run…the desktop icon is a white box with a blue strip at the top and three little tiny squares on the right hand side of the blue strip (not very computer savvy am I?).
Crystal, It's not supposed to run. On your desktop, drag the icons for MBAM and RevoUninstaller programs onto the inherit icon. Make sure you are dragging the program icon, not the installer. To drag and drop, click the item you want to drag with your left mouse button. Now, keeping that mouse button pressed down, move the item to where you want it to be. Once you're hovering over its new home release the left mouse button and it'll be "dropped" into place.
Hi there Yes I did all that ( the drop and drag)…I got the OK which I clicked but it is still asking me to run the program and the icons for MBAM and Revo are still there. Crystal
Hi Crystal, Sorry, the idea was to get the programs to run correctly for you, not to remove them (I should have explained that better). Are you able to run Revo now or open a MBAM log?
Hi there Yes, I was trying to delete them. Not to worry. I am trying Malwarebytes and Revo again now so I will get back to you about my progress :) Thanks Crystal
Hi again Ok, well Revo Uninstaller worked so I uninstalled Malwarebytes then downloaded again from the link you provided. I ran the scan no probs…when it was finished I got, once again, 'Access Denied". The face of the program did not change so there was no 'OK' or 'Show Results' to click. Sorry it's not working. Crystal
Crystal,

I'm not sure why you can't open those MBAM logs, When you finish up with these instructions I'd recommend that you join their support forum and see if they can sort it out for you.

The better news is that your logs look clean. Now we have some important cleanup and houskeeping to take care of:

🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image) Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 18. The Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications."
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select the Windows platform from the dropdown menu.
  • Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: " I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 with JavaFX License Agreement". Click on Continue.The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Now go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java™ 6) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u18-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
  • After the install is complete, go into the Control Panel (using Classic View) and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH Checked
      Applications and AppletsTrace and Log Files
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image) Your Adobe reader needs to be updated. Please visit Adobe's site and grab the newest version.

Go HERE to scan for any other out of date and/or vulnerable applications on your computer and follow the instructions given for updating them.

🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image) Uninstall ComboFix
  • Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard or click Start -> Run. Copy and past the following text into the run box that opens:
    Combofix /Uninstall
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)

🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image) Clean up with OTL:
  • Double-click OTL.exe to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
  • Manually delete any remaining logs or tools.
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image) Finally, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions to help you stay clean in the future:
  • Restart any anti-malware programs that we disabled while we were cleaning your machine.
  • Keep your antivirus application current and updated. Also, hang on to MBAM. Scan with them at least weekly.
  • Avoid using P2P programs, cracks and keygens! Refer back to my earlier post for more information.
  • Consider running in a limited user account. See this post for more information.
  • Please carefully review the information in our Security - Best Practices and Prevention forum located HERE
Please post once more so I know you are all set and I can close this thread. Good luck and stay safe!
Hi there Well, all done! I have posted the query regarding Malwarebytes in the suggested forum…so thanks for that. Just one question; should I replace File Hippo with Secunia Online Software Inspector in regards to updates? Crystal
Crystal, File Hippo Update Checker is a good tool to use also. Use whichever one you are most comfortable with, or hang on to both of them.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI