This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Win32:Malware-gen infection + rootkit - please help me remove

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, Avast informs me that I have been infected by the Win32:malware-gen. It quarantined the file and then my PC would blue screen and auto-reboot. Each time i would get to my user sign-on screen, enter my password an then I was displayed the 'Loading your personal settings' before it blue screened again. It kept looping like that. I did a restart from 'Last known good configuration' and I can now boot-up but Avast is also reporting that I have a rootkit in c:\windows\system32\drivers\aec.sys I delete it when prompted but it reappears after each reboot. I also get random blue screens that drop me back into the auto-reboot loop. I checked the 'are you infected' thread and it recommends software downloads for Win 7 an Vista - I'm on XP SP3 - which one of the tools should I use to help you diagnose. TIA Techno~
Hi Techno~,

:welcome:

My name is NightWizard and I will be your helper. :)

While I go through your log, I would very much appreciate it if you read the following.

  • I aim provide you with the best instructions possible to resolve your issue. However, I ask that you understand that malware is complex and the process usually takes a few attempts before successfully cleaning everything out. In severe cases cleaning may not be possible and a reformat may be our only option.
  • If you are unresponsive to this thread within three days, the thread will be locked due to inactivity. However, if you will be away, let us know and we will be sure to keep the thread open.
  • Please do not make any new threads about this issue here or any other malware removal forum; it wastes other helpers' time and it can be dangerous for your PC.
  • If you don't understand a set of instructions or you are having trouble performing some of the fix, don't panic! Let me know and I will be happy to help in any way I can.
  • Please remember that the absence of symptoms does not mean you are clean. I request that you stick to this log until the very end - I will inform you when your system is clean.
  • Please do not use any tools other than the ones I instruct you to use. Some of the tools available can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

Please be advised that I am still in training at this forum. My posts will be checked by experts before I post in this thread. This is to ensure you get the best possible help available. This may cause delay however I will do my best to limit the time gaps between posts.



Thanks for choosing WhatTheTech and I will be back with a fix shortly! :)


-NightWizard
Hi - sorry, i have also posted this on another site. As I do not want any conflict in finding a resolution could you please close this thread. Thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI