Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91699 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

"Default gateway is offline"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 handmeafsih

handmeafsih

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

I have been having issues with my internet connection on my sony vaio for a few months now. When I start it up, I generally have internet connection for a few minutes, then with out explanation I get message from my browser that says the websites are unavailable. I am using Google Chrome as a browser. I can sometimes right click on the wireless icon near the time and "repair" the connection for a while, but it usually goes back to not working with in a few minutes. My computer also maintains that I have an established connection through all of this, usually saying its running a 24.00 mbps. I ran the "troubleshooting" option from windows live messenger, and I get the error message "Your default gateway is offline". I know this is an issue with my computer, because I am running another laptop through th same router, and I have no issues. That laptop runs on Vista, however, my roommates also run XP and do not have this issue. The problem appears to be getting worse, because just last week I was able to connect for enough time to check my email, and tinker online, do some homework, but today I cannot connect for more than 5 seconds at a time. I Have looked to see how many internet connections I have running, because I saw this was a solution for many other people, and I have 3, a LAN connection, the connection to my router and a "1394 network connection" which I don't know what is. I have disabled the 1394 and the LAN, but it did not solve my issue. Thank you for reading, any help is much appreciated!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

You could be having a failure with your wireless adapter in the laptop. It could be that where this laptop is there is interference or it is too far away from the wireless router. 24Mbps speed suggests that the speed has been reduced due to signal quality problems. 54Mbps is what it should be at with a strong signal. Get closer to the router and see if it helps your problems. It could be malware related. It could just be some problematic software on your computer like a firewall or something.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 handmeafsih

handmeafsih

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

After reading this, I do realize that It works better in a room that is closer to the router it self, but the speed is still 24.00mbps. I run 2 laptops wirelessly, right next to each other, and the other works just fine, so my guess is that there is not a problem with the signal entering the other room. What kinds of things might cause interference? if it is a failure with the adapter, how can I fix this? Thanks agian

#4 Duey

Duey

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

the connection to my router and a "1394 network connection" which I don't know what is

As far as i know, 1394 is the technical name for USB / Firewire (referring to the 1394a/b standard) and is nothing to worry about.
i don't think that this would be causing your network problems.

If you have a spare USB wireless dongle then try using that to see if that can connect without problems.

If that fails or you haven't got a spare USB dongle, try, as others suggest, downloading an ISO for puppy linux (apparantly it's about 100mb but don't quote me on that) and burn that to a CD. boot the CD (after restarting computer) (you may need to alter the boot order in the BIOS first so make a note of all your current settings) when the menu loads, select the "Try without installing" (it will probably be phrased differently but i've never used puppy linux myself so i don't know the exact phrasing) If your network stays connected (using the onboard wireless card) it suggests a problem with your current Vista installation, if the problem still persists, it suggests a failure (partial or complete) of your internal wireless card.

if it is a failure with the adapter, how can I fix this?

This can be done 2 of ways:

1) a new internal wireless card fitted by either a technically minded friend (N.B. this may void your warranty (if applicable)) or a local, reliable computer repair shop (get a quote first) (this may still void your warranty (if applicable), the only way to NOT void your warranty (if applicable) is to take it back to the place where you got it from and getting them to replace it (get a quote first))

---OR---

2) a USB wireless dongle, plugged into any available USB port of your laptop. You can pick yourself a Belkin Wireless N USB dongle for about 40 from argos (in uk as i don't know your location)

I hope any/all of this helps you in fixing your computer

Regards

Duey

N.B. All linux distributions are made entirely from "open source" freeware so there is no cost involved (except the cost of a blank CD if you burn it yourself!)

Reason for edit - Puppy Linux link

Edited by Duey, 05 February 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,779 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

What is the make and model of your laptop? Check the manufacturers web site for an updated driver then install it and see if that helps.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.