This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 7 not remembering my password

24 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Not the most important problem around, but still annoying to me. Every single time I start up my computer, it's a lap top and i just went thru system recovery/restore, had to bring it back to day one …… since then it's doing things it NEVER did before…. Like every time I start up the puter it tells me i didn't shut it down properly? HUH???? I closed all the windows, what else is proper shut down? It asks do you want to restore your last session or go to home page….i click go to home page and I have to sign in all over again, it won't remember my name, my password, very odd. It might be my fault, I clicked on NO for when it asked do you want internet explorer to remember this, cause what do I know, I link clicking on that to hackers being able to access my passwords, so I usually never click yes to that, but still, I have other email sites and they all seem to remember my name and password. Whass up with this? I'm a stupid old woman who just is clueless and is highly intimidated by these infernal machines and don't want to go exploring and clicking only to change something irreparably. thanks for your time and input
lee, i did have viruses….. couldn't access anything, and none of the fixes that were suggested…so I put my laptop thru system recovery…which wiped out everything and I now am at square one, or at least that is what the folks over at the malware forum said, when you go thru system restore, the viruses disappear and I had a clean bill of health just a few days ago. they suggested i tweak this now to get it running right.
compudodo == poemmuse???? Oh well …..

Let's try resetting Internet Explorer 8 back to it's default state and this time, when asked if you want it to remember passwords, tell it yes. I think that will clear up that problem.

Here's how: Reset Internet Explorer 8 settings

If not, what is the make and model number of your computer? From reading the malware thread (if you are poemmuse) then you used the built in recovery to restore your computer to it's "Factory Installed State". Though it says it completed successfully, it sounds like some things did not or you would not be having these problems.

If I have the make and model number and can take a look at the users manual for it and maybe get you to do another System Recovery, see if that clears up these problems. Before we get to that we need to make sure you have the userids and passwords you will need, as you discovered before.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=116183

that's the first post I did.

yeah then I couldn't remember my password here, so I went back to the old id I had a couple of years ago…… i'm a real dummy, I am. I try writing down my passwords but then I lose the book I put them in, I have not figured out a way to solve this problem, lol.

yeah, and I do not have the internet explorer icon on my desktop, have no clue how to get it onto the desktop, it is on my tool bar on the bottom, but not on my desktop or on my start up menu. I don't get it. I hate computers.


edit: oh, and another thing, i always was having to say ok to pop ups, constantly…. with the system restore/recovery thing now, i never have seen any pop ups nor any messages blocking me from going somewhere else through a pop up. odd

edit again: ok, i did that reset internet explorer thing. probably will cause me even more headaches, hopefully i can handle them, lol
The popups you mention were probably from some Firewall software you had installed or from McAfee or Norton Antivirus Suites. Do you have any Antivirus software installed now?
yep, what was recommended to me, i have the microsoft windows security essentials even though originaly i had purchased back in may Avast. ( i had been here before with problems on my desktop computer and have the free Avast program on that one, again, suggested by your staff, never had a problem with it)…Don't know why, but i couldn't download the free version on this laptop when i first got it, maybe it had something to do with the poor WiFi connections I had to put up with??? I was on the road, living in an RV…whatever, I had to buy Avast) I wasn't happy with that since it didn't catch all those viruses i got, so a friend here suggested i have what he has on his computer,, the microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes.

I do not have the internet explorer icon on my desktop, have no clue how to get it onto the desktop,



Go to Start / my computer / folders and browse down the left-hand folder list to "programs" / click on the + sign and then browse down to Internet Explorer / double click on the folder / browse to Internet Explorer exe (big blue "e") and right-click on it / choose "send to desktop" which will create a short-cut there for you.

You can do this for any program in future :thumbup:

Cheers,
Lee
i don't have a my computer icon either, so someone said it is now just labled "computer" and they showed me how to get it on my desktop. so I have an icon that says "computer" but when i click on it there is no place that says folders in the box - in the control panel there was an option about folders, but that box did not list the programs, just the things you can do to manipulate them in general when you click on "computer" you see on the right Hard disk drives and it lists the two i have and then Devices with removable storage up above you have options that say organize, system properties uninstall or change a program map netword drive open control panel on the left side of the box the options are Favorites, Libraries, Computer and Network So I clicked on the COMPUTER option on the left side there, I clicked on local disk c, got a list of file folders that are on C, when i clicked on internet explorer i clicked on a create short cut and was told by another pop up box that this windows can't create short cut here, do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead, so i of course said yes, but it still is not there!!!! instead now i have a folder on the desktop that when you click on it it just lists 21 other files that are all greek to me, like en-US, sign up, ext export, hmmmpi.dll, the list goes on …. that isn't what i needed on my desktop
sorry rich, i didn't get back to you about the IE reset…….in a way, yes, the problem was solved, i no longer seem to have sign in constantly for my home page, but now i am getting constant pop up boxes about IE, the tutorial keeps popping up, and there is no option to get it to go away permanently, you can only click yes or ask me later…… when I go to my inbox and read an email now, it always has a box that pops up now saying something about "some content has been blocked, do you want to see it now." that didn't happen before and it's no big deal i guess

i don't have a my computer icon either, so someone said it is now just labled "computer" and they showed me how to get it on my desktop. so I have an icon that says "computer" but when i click on it there is no place that says folders in the box - in the control panel there was an option about folders, but that box did not list the programs, just the things you can do to manipulate them in general


when you click on "computer" you see on the right Hard disk drives and it lists the two i have and then Devices with removable storage
up above you have options that say organize, system properties uninstall or change a program map netword drive open control panel


on the left side of the box the options are Favorites, Libraries, Computer and Network

So I clicked on the COMPUTER option on the left side there, I clicked on local disk c, got a list of file folders that are on C, when i clicked on internet explorer i clicked on a create short cut and was told by another pop up box that this windows can't create short cut here, do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead, so i of course said yes, but it still is not there!!!! instead now i have a folder on the desktop that when you click on it it just lists 21 other files that are all greek to me, like en-US, sign up, ext export, hmmmpi.dll, the list goes on …. that isn't what i needed on my desktop


Sorry compudodo,

I gave you directions for XP not W7 :smack:

Here are the directions for creating a IE shortcut on your desktop in W7

Left click on "Start" / left click on "computer" / double click on "C" / double click on "program files" / double click on "Internet Explorer" / right-click on "iexplore" and a menu will open / hover (don't click) your mouse pointer over "send to" / another menu will open to it's right / left click on "desktop (create shortcut)" / exit the screen and you will see an Internet Explorer shortcut on your desktop.:

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI