This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Getting back files after virus

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I hope I'm posting in the right forum This all started with the Service tool virus. Spybot recognized it. But when I rebooted, I couldn't log in to any of the user accounts. It would almost take me to the desktop, and then log me out again. I noticed that beside the shut down button there was the phrase, " Shut down and let's have some fun." Because of this phrase on the login screen, I am certain this is part of the service virus or a new virus altogether. I couldn't get into safe mode, I didn't want to reformat and reinstall because I have files and documents that I need on the computer, so I ran HP's recovery option that would reinstall the system and original software, but would not affect user created documents. When I rebooted, all the documents that I had saved on the desktop and in the user documents folders were gone. Some documents saved in the applications folders are still there. Also software that I had installed previously was still there too. This was definately not a clean reformated install, so I don't think this is an hp goof up. I ran a freeware file recovery utility named recova, or something, and it found only files that I had previously deleted, some that were several years old. Nothing that was saved and active before the invection is showing up at all. This is really odd to me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to recover these documents and files? Hopefully freeware? I'm reluctant to spend any money on this, because I don't want to waste it. I haven't had much luck in the past recovering lost data. Yes, I must admit, this is not my first encounter with a virus that wipes files away.
Hello. I figured it out. The files had been reset to hidden and read only. The recovery software didn't find them because they had never been deleted in the first place. Also, the virus that I had was the personal security virus. I was very tired last night. In fact, I named myself Dazey because I felt so dazed and confused. I hope that this helps someone else.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI