Hello: Since running Windows desktop cleanup, all of my documents disappeared…from my desktop as well as the 'My Documents' folder. I ran Malwarebytes and Zonealarm anti-virus/anti-spyware, but both found nothing wrong…which is why I am posting here! I use Carbonite to back up my system files and my operating system is Windows XP Pro. I don't recall any major updates/installs to my system within the past week. Essentially, I shut down my computer on Wednesday…booted it up on Thursday to find my files gone. Can you suggest how to figure out what happened and how to repair it?
Hi ckcpa,
If there is more than one account on your PC, make sure another user has not recently created a new Documents folder. You might find your missing files have migrated.
Open 'Run' and type in:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Recent
Repeat this for each and any other PC account user name.
I've always disabled that feature and just manually deleted any icons I don't use. Apparently that's what most people do since Desktop Cleanup was removed from Vista, and is not in Windows 7 either.
That said, when you ran Desktop Cleanup, it should have put unused icons in a new folder called, Unused Desktop Shortcuts. Is that not there?
Also note that those shortcuts are just that, shortcuts - so the main folders should still be on your hard disk.
Hi, Lee: thank you for your suggestion! I do not have any other user accounts…however, I think that I accidentally shuffled all of the files to a different folder when doing that desktop cleanup. I found the files and can now move them back.
Hi, Digerati: thanks for your input as well! Not sure what occurred during clean-up because that 'unused icon' folder is not on my desktop! I somehow moved everything around and hide it from myself! I found the files I was looking for…. Thanks again!