This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Brower redirect adware virus + other problems

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Over the past several days, I have had progressive problems with an adware/malware/virus that has been hijacking and re-directing browser searches. I tried running malwarebytes, which removed some malicious items, but then malwarebytes wouldn't work any more - I got an error message saying the executable file could not be found. It seems whatever has gotten onto my machine is also blocking at least some anti-virus programs. I attempted getting at the malicious files by downloading and running additional malware removal programs, including Spybot & Super Antispyware. Both of these programs found and removed additional items (Super Antispyware identified over 900 items!!). :o The computer in question is set up for multiple users, and each user has a password. The adults in the family are "administrators", the kids are not. After running Super Antispyware, I re-booted the computer. Now, when I log into my user account (actually ANY user account…), I am immediately logged back out again. This happens both in normal start-up mode and safe mode. I have no idea what I've done, and absolutely no clue where to go from here to try and fix it! I can't post hijack this logs or anything else at the moment because I can't get past the login screen! ANY help you all can provide would be HUGELY appreciated!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!
It seems likely that one of the scanners you ran either deleted a file called userinit.exe or the registry entry that directed Windows to it, and this is why you cannot log into any accounts. This could either be as a result of the legitimate file being replaced with a malicious version, or it could be that malicious code was added to it, and this triggered the scanner to remove it.
You need to start a fresh thread in this part of the forum explaining the problem and somebody may be able to guide you through repairing the damage. It would be useful if you could find any discs that came with the computer and also state the make and model as this may be of help in determining the best course of action. It would also help if you mentioned whether or not you have any important data of the computer, or if you have it backed-up.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI