This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Web browser Redirect hijacking

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everyone, I recently visited a site where you can download sheet music and I believe I contracted malware that hijacks my web browser. When I search google, every site I click opens a new tab and redirects me to some jibberish advertising site. Also, when I try to access some sites like pctools.com or any anti-virus, anti-malware program site, it requires authentication and doesn't allow me to go to it. Also, it has slowed my computer down considerably. I hope i didn't mess up, but I was notified that there were 2 things that were wrong and I attempted to delete the files. One was a.exe in windows/system32/a.exe which I managed to delete manually, and another when I ran SpywareDoctor it said it was a malware that redirected webpages and took over my home page. SpywareDoctor said it removed it but the problem persists. Please help! thank you! I hope I've attached a correct HJT log

Attachments:

[external image: Posted Image]


Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.


Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.

Next:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected .
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
  • Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.
Also "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.

Do Not attach, "copy/paste"
Thank you for the response. However, due to the slight delay of your response and the immediate need to use my computer, I had to run scans on my own. Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware found and removed the browser hijacker. thanks again

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI