This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Account Login Screen

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I am not sure where to put this post as I cannot perform a hijack log to post. I booted up my computer this evening and left for a few minutes. When I sat down, I had a small balloon pop up in my systray from a red circle with a white x in it that stated "Your system is infected please run spyware cleaner now". I tried to right click on the icon or balloon to see what this was but nothing happened. The message just popped up several times. I then clicked on my spyware tool to start a scan. It found several items that had varying degrees of severity. It deleted them and then asked me send them to the website to list them with them. I did this. Then it stated that in order to complete the removal process, I would need to reboot my system. I then did this. This is where the problems begin. Normally, as I am the only user of my laptop, I boot directly to my desktop. This time I booted to an account user login screen. My name as account holder in the middle of the screen, bottom left "turn off computer" bottom right "once you login you can change your account settings by going into the control panel." I click on my account icon and it starts with "loading personal settings…." immediately under my name, then very rapidly it changes to say " saving settings logging off" and then leaves me at the login screen. I don't even get a chance to try to put a password in. I have tried to boot into safe mode but I get the same results and cannot get in. I tried to ctl-alt-del to bring up the task manager to force a run of explorer but that only takes me to a password or shut down screen. No matter what I tried I could not get past this either. Any ideas of how to get in? Below is a list of any system items I can think of without a hjt log: Dell laptop Operating System XP with Media Center AVG 8 free antivirus Adaware Anniversary edition Both IE and Firefox 3 browsers Open Office Skype Previously had vuze and limewire on system but this has been removed for weeks. Had a couple of threats attempted but detected last night and were cleaned and removed by AVG. System was fine for hours after threat was discovered and removed. I think it was some kind of trojan. If you can just help me to get past this account login screen I am sure I can run alternative spyware such as malewarebytes to double check my system and clear my system or even restore it to a previous day. I am sorry I cannot provide more specific information but I can't get into my system. Can anyone help?? Thank you, mickey
Thanks for the reply. No I do not have the disks and could not wait for a reply. I did revert the computer to a recovery point that was unfortunately almost 3 years old. I could boot using f8 and got to microsoft recovery. It found old back ups from the partition drive. At least I did not have to revert to factory settings or completely reimage the machine. Also fortunately I save most all data to an external drive. All I had to reinstall was some basic software. Thank you for just being there to help us out here. I apologize for not returning to have this closed.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI