This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Run Time Errors

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been getting an increasing number of run time errors. I have a Compaq Presario Model SR1230NX. My operating system is Windows XP home version. It only happens when I am on the internet. The exact message differs depending on what website I am on. These messages occur on both my IE (called a script error) and on Verizon Yahoo! DSL browser (run time error). I scanned with an anti-virus program, an anti-spyware program and a registry cleaner. I have downloaded all available updates from Microsoft and still I get these error messages. Not sure if anything serious is wrong, but they are annoying and time consuming. An example of the error I receive on my DSL browser is: A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug? Line: 210 Error: Expected '(' The message on IE is a little different Done but with errors on page Line: 211 Char: 131 Error: Expected ')' Code: 0 URL: http;//www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21601.htm Any help you could give will be greatly appreciated.
Hi BrianG :) Well, runtime error have almost always something to do with software programs. In your case, it must be a program that relates to your browser somehow. (as it only happens online) Have you updated plugins / addons recently?? Updated your Java?? Updated Flashplayer / macromedia player? Any new recently installed software programs? (security software especially) If you haven't got a positive answer for any of the above, you might have to do a more manual search, by closing down applications one at a time, and see how it goes for awhile with the program closed. Doing the process by closing one by one till you find the culprit. Other than that, i haven't got any other solutions. So if that doesn't bring you further, you have to wait it out till someone more skilled in the way software relates to your browser/explorer comes around. Have in mind that conflicting programs can cause that behavior. Like two real-time security programs, two firewalls or Antivirus programs, or just about any two programs that have the same function and which are both enabled at the same time. Regards Abydos
I do have two anti-virus/anti-spyware programs but they are not enabled at the same time. I updated the Flash Player, but only after the Runtime errors began. What is macromedia? How do I find these programs? I will give the rest of your suggestions a try though. Thank you for your quick response.
Hi again BrianG

I've been snooping and searching alittle around.

Seems alot of people have those errors.

Here are some suggestions/solutions in the form of links:

Link1
Link2

Sometimes, renewing/replacing your host file can do the trick. I don't know excactly why and how, but it worked for me once in the past.
Might have something to do with some pages having AD's all over the place. Anyways, it won't do any harm, but just in case, make a restore point.

To replace your host file, copy / paste the following line into the Start–>Run box

cmd /c echo 127.0.0.1 localhost > c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Finally, to answer your question about macromedia player, follow this link:

Macromedia shockwave player from Adobe.com

Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI