This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

All Web Addresses Blocked/Redirected by Virus!

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

A co-worker's laptop (running Vista Home) was infected with a virus. I was successful at removing all of the virus. However, I have not been successful in recovering the settings left behind from the virus. Here is a synopsis of the problem: Every time I type a web url into any browser (Firefox, IE), the URL is directed to a blank white page. I am pretty sure that the virus was directing to it's own URL's before I removed the virus. There is no 404 error or like. It is a blank white page for every URL. This, also, happens whether connected via the wired or wireless adapter. Here is a list of what I have done: Checked HOSTS file. Checked LSP. Reset winsock Reset TCP/IP Removed/reinstalled network adapters. Ran numerous scans/troubleshooting guides. In the network connection settings, it shows that the internet connection is present. I CAN ping any URL from the command line and get replies from the correct IP address. I CAN download/send any emails. It is only through the browser (and any update utilities within installed programs) that I can't connect. The one thing I CAN connect to through the browser is the control panel of the router. I did find that the registry had been modified by the virus (DisableTaskMgr), but all that I knew to check in the registry relating to the network looked good. Your help is greatly appreciated as I am at a loss for further troubleshooting.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI