This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Drive E - DVD drive won't run

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

About a year ago I had a nasty Vungo virus you guys helped me remove. After removing the virus, in an effort to get my computer running faster the tech had me shut off some of the programs that automatically started when I booted up. One of these was a program that I have since realized runs my Drive E, which is a Plextor PX-760A RW-DVD drive. Since I have other computers I haven't really bothered with it. But now I need it.

Before the start-up fix, the Plextor Professional screen would appear during the startup, the DVD drive would start to spin - or whatever it does internally - and it was loud! so you knew it was running. after about a minute it would wind down to a stop. Since the fix, the Plextor Professional screen does not appear, nor does the drive run. If you put a disk in, a light on it blinks, but it never starts to spin. If I try the Run drive E option, I get an Error message that reads: E:\ is not accessable. The request could not be performed because of an I/O devise error.

I have a Dell Demension 4550 with 1 gig of RAM. It's old but has been very good to me. I run Windows XP. the device manager tells me it is working properly. The trouble shooter is of no help. I get the same error message if I try to download a driver from online. I opened the CPU and checked the connections, they all appear fine. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!
The drive is bad. Sorry. It is not the plextor software causing the problem, that is a coincidence. Whenever you put a disc in the drive you should here it spin up after detecting the disc. If you dont, it is bad. period.
Oh, bummer. It's not even that old and hardly used. I installed it so my kid could play a video game about 2 years ago. He used it for a couple of months,unitl he beat the game. Other than that it has been fairly idle. Oh well, guess I'll look into a replacement. Thanks for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI