Footyfootfoot
Topic Starter
Hi Guys,
My 3rd XP Pro PC has SP3. The M'board failed late last year - and I left it in the hands of a "Home Tech" to rebuild & reinstall. I will have to locate the necessary data [Model No's, etc] at some stage soon, so you have a clearer understanding. I have run several Fix Tools [including those for VUNDO and DOWNADUP/CONFICKER] from a few different companies. Nothing found. That was after ClamWin Portable found & removed a VUNDO variant [VUNDO-2777].
I don't know if the following problem is associated with the damage "a" Virus could have done to the system.
Signs and symptoms began appearing - PROBABLY - around the time I uninstalled a ""cracked"" version of Nero 8, that my Tech guy had installed.
Initially - when inserting a DVD Movie disc into the tray, a message would appear : (something like) "This application has no association, Go to Folder Options in Control Panel to create an association". Trouble is - everything "looked right" in there. Autoplay etc appears right.
Recently [after having removed VUNDO-2777] - these messages stopped. I've only recently become aware of this. Now - nothing "autoruns"; neither a disc, nor a USB Stick. I can access these items from within Windows Explorer - and - if I open Compro DVD, the DVD Movie disc will start playing the movie.
Perhaps it is a software problem. I cannot run System File Checker neither. A DOS window flashes up, and disappears - and nothing else happens. That looks as though it has something to do with the RPCSvr (which appears to be missing/disabled)
All this prompted me to try a Windows Repair.
The PC wouldn't boot from Disc.
With RAID : DVD as the first of the Boot Priority, in BIOS . . . . . . .
I tried Hiren's Boot Disc. It says that it can't find the drive.
I tried the Ultimate Boot Disc. It boots up to the Menu, then, when selecting an option . . . . . . . causes the PC to reboot (and it heads strainght into XP); totally ignoring the disc.
It totally ignores the XP Pro Setup disc.
I have tried to alter BIOS settings [Boot Priority, etc, etc, etc]. This achieves nothing.
My system is Windows XP Pro SP3
M2N68-AM ASUS M'board with AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-core 6000+
2 Gig RAM
160 GB Prim. Master Seagate HDD [IDE]
80 GB Prim. Slave Seagate HDD [IDE]
Pioneer DVR-111 DL DVD Burner
I used to have a Lite-On DVD-ROM as well; but have disconnected it. It still appears in My Computer !!!
Silicon Image Sil 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA RAID Controller
What have I forgotten ???
Please note - In 3 years - I have never had to put this PC on-lin (prior to the failed M'board). I don't want to have to do so now. If I have to - I will. This PC was meant ONLY for DTV receiving/capturing, MPEG2 editing & burning to DVD. It has had no Anti-Virus or Anti-spyware, etc installed on it (in those previous 3 years).
Summarizing -
My PC's problem is either . . . . . . .
1) Legacy of Virus damage, or
2) Misconfigured Hardware.
During boot-up - there is an option to press F3, to enter the RAID Utility. In that - there are 5 options (F1, F2, F3, etc). Hitting any of those keys - the PC's speaker beeps at me, and nothing else happens. The only option that does work is the ESC key (which exits the RAID Utility). Could it be that the RAID Card has failed ????
HELP !!!!! Please !!!
Thanks for any advice, people.
Cheers from Oz,
Footy
My 3rd XP Pro PC has SP3. The M'board failed late last year - and I left it in the hands of a "Home Tech" to rebuild & reinstall. I will have to locate the necessary data [Model No's, etc] at some stage soon, so you have a clearer understanding. I have run several Fix Tools [including those for VUNDO and DOWNADUP/CONFICKER] from a few different companies. Nothing found. That was after ClamWin Portable found & removed a VUNDO variant [VUNDO-2777].
I don't know if the following problem is associated with the damage "a" Virus could have done to the system.
Signs and symptoms began appearing - PROBABLY - around the time I uninstalled a ""cracked"" version of Nero 8, that my Tech guy had installed.
Initially - when inserting a DVD Movie disc into the tray, a message would appear : (something like) "This application has no association, Go to Folder Options in Control Panel to create an association". Trouble is - everything "looked right" in there. Autoplay etc appears right.
Recently [after having removed VUNDO-2777] - these messages stopped. I've only recently become aware of this. Now - nothing "autoruns"; neither a disc, nor a USB Stick. I can access these items from within Windows Explorer - and - if I open Compro DVD, the DVD Movie disc will start playing the movie.
Perhaps it is a software problem. I cannot run System File Checker neither. A DOS window flashes up, and disappears - and nothing else happens. That looks as though it has something to do with the RPCSvr (which appears to be missing/disabled)
All this prompted me to try a Windows Repair.
The PC wouldn't boot from Disc.
With RAID : DVD as the first of the Boot Priority, in BIOS . . . . . . .
I tried Hiren's Boot Disc. It says that it can't find the drive.
I tried the Ultimate Boot Disc. It boots up to the Menu, then, when selecting an option . . . . . . . causes the PC to reboot (and it heads strainght into XP); totally ignoring the disc.
It totally ignores the XP Pro Setup disc.
I have tried to alter BIOS settings [Boot Priority, etc, etc, etc]. This achieves nothing.
My system is Windows XP Pro SP3
M2N68-AM ASUS M'board with AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-core 6000+
2 Gig RAM
160 GB Prim. Master Seagate HDD [IDE]
80 GB Prim. Slave Seagate HDD [IDE]
Pioneer DVR-111 DL DVD Burner
I used to have a Lite-On DVD-ROM as well; but have disconnected it. It still appears in My Computer !!!
Silicon Image Sil 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA RAID Controller
What have I forgotten ???
Please note - In 3 years - I have never had to put this PC on-lin (prior to the failed M'board). I don't want to have to do so now. If I have to - I will. This PC was meant ONLY for DTV receiving/capturing, MPEG2 editing & burning to DVD. It has had no Anti-Virus or Anti-spyware, etc installed on it (in those previous 3 years).
Summarizing -
My PC's problem is either . . . . . . .
1) Legacy of Virus damage, or
2) Misconfigured Hardware.
During boot-up - there is an option to press F3, to enter the RAID Utility. In that - there are 5 options (F1, F2, F3, etc). Hitting any of those keys - the PC's speaker beeps at me, and nothing else happens. The only option that does work is the ESC key (which exits the RAID Utility). Could it be that the RAID Card has failed ????
HELP !!!!! Please !!!
Thanks for any advice, people.
Cheers from Oz,
Footy