This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Cannot disable touchpad on XP

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My laptop was just returned to me today, it having being broken for many months. Was originally on vista, but is now running XP. I can't turn the touch pad off off and it's driving me nuts.

I use it as a mouse fair enough but I don't like it as a button. I've searched a few sites and got nothing. When I go to mouse settings I am confronted with this:
[external image: Posted Image]
Now it is my understanding I should have a tab called "Device Settings" which seems to be how to turn the thing off, but I don't have that and am pretty much stumped at this point.

Any help would be appreciated cheers.

Ross
:welcome:

I think most laptops has a function key that disable the touch pad. Are you saying that function in not working?

The "Device Settings" you are looking for is a program called Synaptics and I believe it is included in the "Driver CD"
Just install it and you will have the "Device Settings".

Hope this helps.
Yes, like Mister17 said, you have to install the touchpad software, which can also be downloaded from the manufacturer's website. Caution, I have recently found that a particular manufacturer had about 6 different versions of the same software, and only the oldest version actually gave any feature whatsoever of disabling "tapping." On a side note, the settings you are looking for are sometimes found by clicking a particular button under the "hardware," tab in the picture above.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI