This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Remove fidbox.dat

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

want to remove huge, hidden, useless, growing, recursive file fidbox.dat (check out - located in WINDOWS\system32\drivers) - may be I can help.

BR arTech
Problem begins after "totally" removing some of Kaspersky family programs (or some versions Zone Alarm, AOL, System Mechanic, PC Tools AV… which use Kapersky's Virus Scanner). Some hidden parts remain active. Results: slightly slow down PC, fidbox.dat keeps rapidly growing in size (even up to few Gb), and the most important - what removed Kaspersky doing? File fidbox.dat only can be reset, but tomorrow it will be there again. arTech
I try to fix problem only on my PC (XP). Last week, after defragging HDD I find hidden files fidbox.dat and his brother fidbox.idx. Alien (almost 3Gb) was growing about 1,5 years.

Manually clean registry (Zone Alarm and Kaspersky removed long time ago):
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT Zone.ClientM.reg
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT Zone.ClientM.1.reg
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Zone Labs.reg
HKEY_USERS .DEFAULT Software Zone Labs.reg
HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software KasperskyLab.reg
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE KasperskyLab.reg

not enough

With DriverView (freeware, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html) find System Driver file 52610972.sys in location WINDOWS\system32\drivers.
Description: Klif Mini-Filter, ver. 7.0.0.311, prod. name Kaspersky Anti-Virus, size 148.496.
PE Explorer said also: file type - drv, original file name - klif.sys (important).
I suppose that file name 52610972 can vary from PC to PC, but that is actually klif.sys.

File removed - success.

With Unlocker (freeware, compliment for little one) and commands unblock and delete, permanently removed files fidbox.dat and fidbox.idx.

I want to know does this disturbance is rarely or not and can this help somebody because problem is unnoticed until strangle HDD happened. This is not a zone of anti virus and anti spyware activity (?).

Manually clean registry (Zone Alarm and Kaspersky removed long time ago):

What if you are still using ZA and Kaspersky?
I don't thing you'd want to remove those registry keys.
Sorry I don't quite understand. I wanted manually to remove from PC everything what have name and root ZA and Kaspersky, because uninstalling with Add/Remove was not complete and remained parts were still active. I know that working with registry is dangerously and that my act was drastic, but I have backup of those registry keys and until now PC work OK.
My question is, what if a user is still using ZA and Kaspersky anti-virus? If a user was still using those two programs, you wouldn't want to make the changes you suggested. If a user was still using those two programs those two files will always be huge.
If a user is still using ZA and KAV I have 3 suggestions: 1. Manually reset files as Kaspersky instruct from time to time. Your comment above. 2. Delete files on the next system boot with Scheduler programs. 3. Change the antivirus and firewall programs. I prefer NOD32 and Outpost. It's a 1.40AM (local time) and I have to sleep now. Thank you for your time. Pleasure to continue tomorrow, sorry today.

Are you asking for help to remove Zone Alarm and Kaspersky?


No thanks (little misunderstanding). I think that my PC haven't ZA and Kaspersky any more.

I think that my PC haven't ZA and Kaspersky any more.


I know that this new information isn’t interesting for wide public, but I had to write this Post for users which try to entirely remove Kaspersky.

My Kaspersky is still alive!

In Event Viewer/System casually found Error massage:
The is-7PJL2 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified.

The Event list is full of these massages (every day, and almost every hour).

In Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services found:
Name: is-7PJL2
Description: Kaspersky Anti-Virus provides anti-virus services to applications and performs real-time protection of computer.
Startup Type: Automatic
Path to executable: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Kaspersky Lab Tool\is-7PJL2\is-7PJL2.exe

I’ve disabled service, but system and I cannot find the path specified and delete alien. Kaspersky is not in the location above (can see hidden files).

Kaspersky removing is hard process which needs manual cleaning. Obviously I am not finished.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI