This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

What is fidbox.dat

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I was defragging my hard disk yesterday and I noticed a very large file that I didn't immediately recognize in my windows folder - fidbox.dat. It was located in C:\WINDOWSSystem32\drivers and nearly 500mb in size. I searched on Google and the only relevant info I can find is that it's used by Kaspersky Antivirus. But I don't have Kaspersky installed and never did. The file seems to be updating itself regularly and is now 504mb. Should I be worried? The security software I am running: AVG Free Edition 7.5.503, AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5.1.43 free, AVG Anti-Rootkit free 1.1.0.42 Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.1.15 Ad-aware 2007 Free Edition 7.0.2.5 Windows Defender 1.1.1592.0 Spyware Blaster 3.5.1 Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup: Edit: Forgot to mention ZoneAlarm version:7.0.408.000
Thanks for the response. I defnintely did not install the stand alone KAV, or any Kaspersky products for that matter. I don't remember using their on-line scanner either. The file was first created on 22 September and was last updated about 10 minutes ago. Do you think it would cause problems if I just deleted it? :scratch:
Could it be possible that this fidbox.dat file is from another program that is using Kaspersky's scanning engine? I did try System Mechanic 6 for a while and I ran some scans with it's anti-spyware tool Spython, but I uninstalled it completely a few months ago. I can't find any information on what engine Spython uses.
Hi Mickeyjoe,

Have a look around in your Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs
You may find utilities that you no longer use and can safely uninstall.

You may also benefit from looking in your StartUps listing
Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - press - Enter
Click the StartUps(tab) to see what is running active on your machine.
Click the Services(tab) to see what services are enabled.

I'm not recommending any changes via MSCONFIG at this time, but you may gain more information about your machine's current load. Let us know if you find items that relate to your original question, and/or other questions.

You do not mention any system performance problems.
Rather, this seems to be a legitimate curiosity about a file that you've noticed.
Your curiosity and noticing the file is sensible.
However ("just delete it") is a rather risky way to handle something that may not be causing difficulty now.

Best Regards,
Doug

You do not mention any system performance problems.
Rather, this seems to be a legitimate curiosity about a file that you've noticed.
Your curiosity and noticing the file is sensible.
However ("just delete it") is a rather risky way to handle something that may not be causing difficulty now.

Best Regards,
Doug


Thanks for your response Doug. :)

No, I have not experienced any performance problems, in fact I'm quite happy with how my system is currently operating (touch wood :unsure: ). It's just the fact that I have this huge file sitting on my C: drive and I'm unsure of its purpose.

Looking at how Kaspersky uses fidbox.dat, I'm reasonably confidant that one of my security programs - at present AVG Anti-spyware seems a likely suspect - is using it in a similar manner.

My only concern is that fidbox.dat keeps growing and fairly rapidly. It's now at 541Mb, will it keep going until it fills my entire drive? And suppose there's no way to clear it, what then? It doesn't look like I'm going to find an easy answer.

Oh well, 8.81Gb free, I still have some time. ;)
This is just a "stab in the dark"

Do you, or did you at one time install AOL as your ISP/Portal?
And did you allow the installation of the AOL security suite to that AOL browser? (if you did have AOL)
At a previous time AOL utilized Kaspersky (re-branded as AOL)
________________

A good overview of your machine, operating system, installed software, and present functioning can be had by running the PCPitstop Full Tests.

If you decide to run the Full Tests and post your TechExpress link to the results, we can have a closer look at the installed software that may be related.

PCPitstop Full Tests does not make any changes to your system, does not read your personal files and does not reveal any personally identifying information. For instance, even though it tests your internet connection performance, it does not reveal information about your machine's IP, in the information communicated via TechExpress Link.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Clear your Temporary Internet files and Temporary files.

If you would like a good automated utility to clear your Temporaries…. consiter ATF-Cleaner
http://www.atribune.org/content/view/19/2/

consider "disabling" the following via MSCONFIG:

Sun Java Update Sun Microsystems, Inc. C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
Debugger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
Copernic Desktop Search Copernic Technologies Inc. C:\Program Files\Copernic Desktop Search 2 … \DesktopSearchService.exe
PowerDVD Cyberlink Corp. C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
Google Talk Google C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
SetPoint Event Manager Logitech Inc. C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
Microsoft keyboard Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
Palm HotSync Palm, Inc. C:\Program Files\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
Picasa Media Detector Google Inc. C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
WinAmp C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
Yahoo Toolbar Symantec Corporation C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\YTBSDK.exe
Matrox Power Desk Matrox Graphics Inc. C:\WINDOWS\system32\PDesk\PDesk.exe
Matrox BiosGuard Matrox Graphics Inc. C:\WINDOWS\system32\mgabg.exe
Taskswitch Powertoy C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. C:\Program Files\Huawei technologies\Vodafone … \Vodafone 3G Broadband Modem.exe
Samsung Electronics. C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\LaserSMMgr\ssmmgr.exe
Productivity Software Logitech Inc. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KhalShared\KHALMNPR.EXE
Disk Defragmenter Executive Software International, Inc. C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe

_______________________

Speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Consider disabling the following item: "Advanced Text Services"
This item ctfmon.exe is disabled via Control Panel - Regional and Language Options
Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Language(tab) - Details(button) - Advanced(tab)
Place a checkmark/tick in the box in front of: "Turn off advanced text services"
______________

Consider turning off Indexing Services via Hibernation"
Hibernate enabled Yes <– present setting
HIBERFIL.SYS present Yes <– present setting

Right click on your Desktop - Select - Properties
In the Display Properties Panel - Select - ScreenSavers(tab) - Power(button)
In Power Options Properties Panel - Select - Hibernate(tab)
Remove the checkmark/tick in front of "Enable Hibernate"
___________________________

After you have completed the above, please run a fresh PCPitstop Full Test and post the fresh TechExpress

Best Regards

Hi,

I was defragging my hard disk yesterday and I noticed a very large file that I didn't immediately recognize in my windows folder - fidbox.dat.

It was located in C:\WINDOWSSystem32\drivers and nearly 500mb in size.

I searched on Google and the only relevant info I can find is that it's used by Kaspersky Antivirus.

But I don't have Kaspersky installed and never did.

The file seems to be updating itself regularly and is now 504mb. Should I be worried?

The security software I am running:
AVG Free Edition 7.5.503, AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5.1.43 free, AVG Anti-Rootkit free 1.1.0.42
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.1.15
Ad-aware 2007 Free Edition 7.0.2.5
Windows Defender 1.1.1592.0
Spyware Blaster 3.5.1

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup:

Edit: Forgot to mention
ZoneAlarm version:7.0.408.000


Hey Mickeyjoe,

Just a point in passing:> Zone Alarm uses Kapersky's Virus Scanner!
So fidbox.dat is used by that virus scanner.
I hope this helps.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI