This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

processor

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello As a gift, I received a pc with an AMD processor. It is Athlon ll x 3 425 (2.7 Ghz, 1.5 mb) We use the machine about 3 hours a day and leave it on all day. I can return it now without penalty and move up as far as the processor goes or pay a bit more for one that will be durable and handle printing etc. I currently have a five year old Pentium R, 4 cpu, 2.66. It has been ok and obviously been durable. I do not know if I am in the Toyota store or Geo or Honda if you know what I mean. Thank you for an opinion.
Only you can answer that, BUT, to help, ask yourself do you need\want more from your system ? From what you say it seems what you have is more than capable of doing what you require, and to that end they say if it ain't broke don't fix it, presumably there has been no issues with this system so it's obviously great for what you need. On the other hand new(er) systems are faster, and it's a nice feeling to have a more responsive unit under your hood, but this obviously costs, more so when there is a big jump in tech, so you have to figure if the costs are worth it to you, TBH from a requirement point of view, I don't think it will be, but as I said it's always nice to have a bit more power, so it's a trade off dependant on what you want to achieve. Now assuming you want to investigate this more, be warned it's probably going to be an expensive upgrade, the tech has moved on a lot lately, so it is quite likely you will need a board, CPU and ram, but people will need to know what you have now (system spec), especially the PSU, you will need to read this info from the sticker on the unit, and what you want to spend, also if you want to go Intel or AMD, more so as AMD are not in the lead anymore performance wise, although they are a cheaper solid workhorse, so have a think about these points and see what you think.
I guess I was really looking for an opinion about processors, but I have made up my mind to send it back for one with a better processor which I am researching. Thank you
The problem is a lot more info is required to be able to give more specific advice, to change just the CPU we would need to know as a minimum your board make\model, that will set the limit as to what you can have, but if you've already found an alternate option then thats fine, hope it does what you hope, but for future reference a system spec when enquiring about upgrades is a great help.
I think I misled you. I was not speaking about the component being returned but the machine itself. In any case, you are right that specifics should be included in any request so that a comprhensive answer can be given. Had a lazy day :blush:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI