This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

upgrading from an amd fx-4100advice please.

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, this time last year I sold my intel core 2 duo 3.3ghz PC to a relative and bought a new PC with an AMD FX-4100 processor.
I was bitterly dissapointed with this processor as I think many people were.
My Motherboard in my PC is a GA-M68MT-S2 rev 3.1 and I was having a look at the CPU support list for it.
I would like to replace my fx 4100 but am not sure which CPU to go for….I was considering this processor as I don't want to change my Motherboard :
AMD FX-8120
But I don't know if I am taking a step backwards or forwards or just going for a similar type cpu.
I think this link shows what cpu's my mobo will support http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/c…p.aspx?pid=3967

I mainly use my PC for video converting,could someone give me advice which cpu to go for or should I just stick with the FX-4100 for now?
Any help appreciated.
thanks.
more cores is always better when it comes to video converting so the 8 core 8120 is definitely a step up from the 4 core 4100, and i've read where someone got the 8150 working on that motherboard too, but to be honest i just don't know how much of a step up your talking about in the real world. seconds or minutes difference per encoding? shrugs so i can't give you a yay or nay answer on whether it's worth the upgrade but if your not going to change the whole platform then i don't see why you shouldn't go for it. :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI