This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

NTLDR For Windows Vista *Sigh*

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey everybody. Ok, I'm having a problem with a PC that used to have Windows XP on it but now has Windows Vista on it. The problem is that today, the laptop decided to stop working and show a message stating "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" (Where's the any key?! - Homer Simpson) Haha. Anyway, I've been searching around the Internet via Google but I still haven't found a solution to this. I entered the Windows Vista CD and tried to fix this via the "Startup Repair" but nothing worked. I have also tried using the Command Prompt but to no avail. Now, I know that NTLDR has nothing to do with Windows Vista and it shouldn't be there on a Windows Vista machine, but it is here only because Windows XP was previously installed on it. My question is obviously, how do you fix this? I've tried many things and have been looking around on the Internet for hours now trying different things but nothing has helped at all. Is there any way to fix this without using the Windows XP CD (Can't find it atm) Thanks in advance, Gary.
Hi Ztruker, thanks for your reply. I have tried that link already but it didn't work at all. I tried step 3 and 4 but something went wrong there, I am unsure of what went wrong though, it was something to do with something not being recognised.
Sorry, but can you be more specific please. Was it the bootsect.exe command that was not recognized?

From Step Three: Warning the instructions below assume that the program bootsect.exe is present on the booted Vista recovery disk. It was included on earlier distributions of Vista, but was subsequently omitted. If your DVD contains a copy in the boot folder, the instructions can be followed as listed. If not (and our downloadable CD images do not) you will need to pick up a copy elsewhere before proceeding.

If needed, I can make mine available from my Windows 7 DVD, should be the same as Vista.
Sorry for not explaining it properly, I'll have a look at those steps again and take more time with them and I'll get back to you. Is the recovery disk the same as the Windows Vista disk that came with the laptop? I assume it is since I can do the same processes that the instructions on the webpage are telling me to carry out.
Ok everything is ok, I reinstalled XP today and I'm going to reinstall Windows Vista later on. Is there anyway to fix this problem so it wont occur again? I think there's a program called EasyBCD or something along those lines.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI