Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

NTLDR is missing, can't open up computer!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ifeelgood

ifeelgood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Dear Experts, I think I was cleaning up some junk in the C Drive and i think i accidentally deleted some important files.... and now my computer cannot startup!!!!! The screen shows "NTLDR is missing , Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" What should i do? Is there any quick method i can get this fixed? I really need to gain access to my computer... since i have a lot of homework stored and most of them are due tomorrow... I tried to search online... but if it requires like a boot from Windows XP disk, where can i get one so that i can fix it real quickly? Please help me! Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

Can you get into Safe Mode?

If you can get the option screen try: Last known good configuration. If that fails try: Safe Mode > System Restore

If all the above fails: do you have a floppy drive?

If so you can access the Recovery Console with the 6 floppy boot disks from MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

As to the issue itself:

http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

Without a floppy drive you will need an XP CD which you should have. If the computer was not sold with one there will be a recovery partition on the hard drive.

What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 ifeelgood

ifeelgood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

My safe mode appears after the booting thingy... which this NTLDR is just 1 step away before i can have the computer appear the safe mode button. I currently don't have a floopy disk... and i don't have the Windows XP installing CD either >_> But i have a blank CD disk... which... can it work like a floopy? Also, i went to that website.... but i still don't get what are the files i am suppose to download and stuff... T_T Also, i am unsure of my computer. I know it is Windows XP, but i donno if it's SP2 or above.....I I only once watched the technician did the system restore thingy... but it was like I had to backup all the files and stuff so that it goes back to it's original setting. Is there like other methods just to make it go back to last time's setting without any changes? Thanks a lot for your help!!!!!!!

#4 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Here is another thread regarding an ISO CD for the Recovery Console plus a link within for instructions from the Recovery Console to run System Restore:

http://forums.pcpits...howtopic=150212

If you need help on how to burn an ISO please ask. This is not a data burn but an image burn.

#5 ifeelgood

ifeelgood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Also... i found out that i have a set up button, and when i go in, it contains stuff like bios... but including the CPU's heat, and stuff. There is also "Load Fail-Safe Defaults, but there isn't lot of descriptions about that, and i am not sure whether it loads the bios system itself or also includes the OS of my comp. Another computer option i have is "TAB" to show post screen, and the F2 button, which i think has to do with setting it back to original settings with GHOST. But do u think it's ok to try with the F2 button? cuz after i press that i find out that i can get the XP logo sign going on, which means it let me open the computer normally. But i am not sure if it would start erasing stuff right away... or something like that

#6 ifeelgood

ifeelgood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

... i went deeper into that F2 program.... And i found out it has 2 options. (traslated from Chinese... so maybe it might not be exactly the same or make sense...) "Restore Hard drive's MBR (Explanation included) : restores your computer's hard drive startup (or reboot?? i donno which word to choose...) region (we often have that chinese word for describing the area such as like partition, sector... etc.) This action can prevent your hard drive getting attack by virus which cause MBR drive region's problem (second option) return OS to original state (Explanation:) This allows yoru computer to have the OS been set to it's original state. If you wanted to reset it, please press (return OS to original state) **warning : anything stored in the C: region would be lost, so before choosing this setup, please backup your files (something like that.... which i think is what the technician did) Do you think the first thing is the one which you can help make it back to last times "working condition"? Does that include like manual error... cuz i think i deleted that file into the trashcan....

#7 ifeelgood

ifeelgood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

(... i guess internet problem made me post it 3 times... sorry about that)

Edited by ifeelgood, 02 April 2009 - 08:06 PM.

#8 ifeelgood

ifeelgood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

(... i guess internet problem made me post it 3 times... sorry about that)

Edited by ifeelgood, 02 April 2009 - 08:05 PM.

#9 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

Try MBR

That is the same as the Recovery Console command of FIXMBR

The second option will delete all data.

#10 ifeelgood

ifeelgood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

grr.... the problem still occured.. so i guess i will go with making the iso disk to fix. My old version of nero have that option... but my friend... has like the newest nero... which even after i switched into professional mode (which usually have like a option of making ISO CD / DVD), i no longer find it.... There is only making data DVD/CD or copying... and the rest are like making video CD, removing stuff.. which i don't think have anything to do with making iso disk. Which one should i press?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

In Nero you want: "Burn image to disk".

I believe Nero Express says: "New project/ Disk image".

Or you can use this program which adds the option to your right click shell:

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

With this latter you right click the ISO file and you will see the option to: Burn disk image.

It is a great tool for ISOs.

#12 ifeelgood

ifeelgood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

my friends computer is vista...so i download the vista version one right? or since the computer that has the problem is XP, i use the XP version? Thanks a lot for your help!

#13 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

For the burning program choose the OS that you are burning on. Vista in this case.

#14 ifeelgood

ifeelgood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

Thanks a lot! i got the CD working and I press R. After that, do i need to type something into C:\ so that it does something to fix my computer? Or do i just press EXIT ?

#15 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

I am not personally familiar with this software. I would suggest reading through both the threads I posted.

The linked thread was regarding running System Restore via the Recovery Console.

After reading the threads quoted please ask any remaining questions.

Here is another thread regarding an ISO CD for the Recovery Console plus a link within for instructions from the Recovery Console to run System Restore:

http://forums.pcpits...howtopic=150212

If you need help on how to burn an ISO please ask. This is not a data burn but an image burn.