This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Page Fault in Nonpaged Area

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I've gotten help on these forums before for viruses and malware. I have a Dell desktop that is about 8 years old and runs Windows XP. I have had very few problems with it in the past. For several days I have been getting a Blue screen at startup. It says "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA." The technical information says "STOP: 0x00000000 (0xEC6B738D, 0x000000000, 0x82EE308C,0x00000000)". I can't go into Safe Mode or use the last known settings to get past it. I have been in the process of getting a new computer, but I want to know what I can do to save as many files and documents as possible. Please help because I have a lot of things I don't want to lose. Thanks
Hi mp2010, welcome to WhatTheTech.

Are you sure the error info you typed is correct, especially the STOP: 0x00000000. That is usually 0x0000000A.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA is almost always caused by bad ram. How much does the computer have and is does it have more than one DIMM (stick)? If yes, remove one and see what happens. If it still fails, put it back and remove the other. If there is more than 2, repeat for each one installed.

Let me know how you make out.
The error info is correct. As far as I know there is only 1 DIMM. I don't know the specifics, but I haven't modified it since I bought it. There have been no new hardware changes. This may be the most obvious question ever, but does having bad ram mean that I have lost all of my files? I am not concerned about losing the computer, but I would like to save as many documents as possible. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks.
No, bad ram will not cause you to lose any files. Typically it prevents you from booting or using your computer. Replacing the ram resolves the problem and you pick up where you left off.

There are other causes of the problem, it's just that ram is the primary cause. Could be problem with the hard drive (much less likely though).

This Google search can give you a feel for what can cause this: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Hello MP2010, I am having the same PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error as you with a Dell that is about 8 years old. How did you resolve this problem? Thanks, John
John, is it the exact same error, or is it STOP: 0x00000050 (not STOP: 0x00000000). If it's STOP: 0x00000050 then it's quite likely to have been caused by an automatic update from Microsoft. This is the probable solution: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums…24-817bf39c207b

If you don't have an XP CD, download and create a bootable CD from the .iso file XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this.

A Repair Install also fixes it.
Rich, Thank you very much for all the info. I'm glad you gave me the link for the XP Recovery Console because my XP CD is bad. I will try buring a CD tomorrow. Again thanks!!! John
Just completed the repair and now everything is fine! Thanks for all your help and for the links to the Recovery Console and ImgBurn. WIth your help I was able to do the repair in about 10 minutes which included buring the CD with ImgBurn. Again thanks!! John

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI