Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

internet problems on XP

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 r33beers

r33beers

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:48 AM

i have 2 computers connected to a cable modem by a 4 port router. 1 computer can access the internet(windows 98), but the other computer cant access the internet or the router setup page. i CAN look at files on the other computer though. so the problem isnt in the wires, router, or cable modem. i tried releaseing the ip adress and renewing and flushing the dns, but none seemed to help. i ran AVG, Ad-aware, spybot, and winsock fixer and none fixed the problem. any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:03 PM

hi r33beers, what shows up in ipconfig from the other computer, can you ping your router? start>run>cmd>ipconfig start>run>cmd>ping 192.168.2.1 or your routers ip
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 r33beers

r33beers

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:17 PM

C:\WINDOWS>ping 192.168.1.1 Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=150 Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=150 Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=150 Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=150 Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms this comes up on the computer with internet. i dont think i get a response when i ping with the one that doesnt work. i will try that soon.

#4 r33beers

r33beers

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:18 PM

sorry, forgot to include the ipcopnfig C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig Windows 98 IP Configuration 0 Ethernet adapter : IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

#5 r33beers

r33beers

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:20 PM

o and i would like to mention that the computers have been working properly for over a year now.

#6 r33beers

r33beers

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:35 PM

the computer that can not access the internet says, "ping transmit failed error code 65" if you need the ipconfig, tell me cus i cant copy and paste it and i dont wanna type it lol

Edited by r33beers, 31 October 2005 - 04:36 PM.

#7 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:00 PM

hi r33beers, that reply and ipconfig all looks normal for the w98 computer. the ipconfig for the xp computer would look the same except the last 3 ip digits would be different. is that what it look likes? you have any firewalls like ZA, try disabling firewall, including widows built in firewall. then ping router. from the xp machine ping 127.0.0.1 a response means tcp/ip stack is ok

#8 r33beers

r33beers

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:16 PM

the xp system has the right ipconfig. i get errors when i tried to ping my router without a firewall. i got a respose time on the second one though.

#9 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

hi r33beers,

i get errors when i tried to ping my router without a firewall

you get the same error?

i assume your network is setup correctly in xp
make sure ICS is disabled in the xp machine
just for the ping please shutdown any firewall running (you use ZA?)sounds like a firewall issue
reboot computer, then router
from the xp machine, ping the xp ip address and the gateway (get this from running ipconfig).

#10 r33beers

r33beers

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:57 PM

i dont use zone alarm, i use the windows one, and have a program called spywareguard. what is ics?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

hi r33beers,

sorry for the lag, long work hours.

ics is windows internet connection sharing. you would have had to set it up before using.
link:
http://www.practical...sharing/xp_ics/
have you turned off windows built in firewall, ping requests/replys may be blocked by default.

http://kb.iu.edu/data/albz.html

#12 r33beers

r33beers

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:47 PM

it was already checked... still cant get online..

#13 r33beers

r33beers

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:33 PM

could you tell me what you think the problem is? i know its hard without seeing the computer, but i think if you named a setting or a program i could try and figure it out.

#14 r33beers

r33beers

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

internet works if i run windows in safemode with networking i cant find the root of the problem though..

#15 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:47 AM

hmm.. right click on "My Network Places" on your desktop and choose properties. Then, right click on the adapter your using to connect to the net. Is it checked to "Obtain IP automatically"..? Secondly, on the machine that can access the router setup page, find the DHCP settings and maske sure that the "Number Of DHCP Users" is set to the correct number (the number of computers on your network). You should also be able to access your modem's html settings page, make sure its set to "share public ip" and that networking is enabled. If none of those solve the problem, post back.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"