This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Monitor

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dell dimension 4600,xpsp3,Mcafee security center, M.S, updates current I was safe surfing and suddenly my Dell 17" monitor E773c non plasma + 4 years old turned off. I pressed the monitor power button and it came back on. The voice and program kept running through all this. I leave the machine on all day and set power so the monitor and discs go off after 10 minutes of non use. Does this sound like I'm looking at a problem or just an incidence? This never happend before. Thank you

Does this sound like I'm looking at a problem or just an incidence?
This never happend before.

The issue is, does it do it again? If no, then it might have just been a fluke. I would certainly make sure all my cables are securely fastened and the system is clean of heat trapping dust and dirt.

If it happens again, then you need to start suspecting something is starting to fail. The problem is, what? The monitor? The graphics card? Power?

If it happens again, try swapping monitors with another computer. If the problem follows the monitor, you know your monitor is failing. If the problem stays with your computer, then you know your monitor is good, and something in the computer is not right.
The process of elimination, or trouble shooting sounds like working on cars in the 50's. I will premptively check cables and blow some dust out. As far as the monitor is concerned, can I just borrow one and replace it on the fly or should everything be off ? Also is software required such as a disc so the pc recognizes the new monitor? Checking cables etc and dust removal first, then monitor swapping if problem persists. Thanx for the help. :wacko:

The process of elimination, or trouble shooting sounds like working on cars in the 50's.

And unless you have sophisticated test equipment and mock-ups, and the knowledge and skills to use them, swapping in known good part is often the only valid troubleshooting option available.

can I just borrow one and replace it on the fly or should everything be off ?

ALWAYS "gracefully" shut down Windows, power off the PC, AND unplug the power supply from the wall before adding or removing any hardware. This is essential because the ATX Form Factor standard REQUIRES +5Vsb standby voltages to be applied across several buses and points on the motherboard whenever the power supply is simply plugged in. This standby voltage is what allows for the front power button to remotely signal the PSU through the motherboard to power up. It also allows for such features as Wake on LAN, Wake on Keyboard, Wake on Mouse, and Wake on Modem.

With the potential to damage critical components if accidentally shorted to the wrong contact, ensuring all power is removed from any connection is essential.

There are two exceptions that apply to external connections: (1) The PSU has a master power switch on the back of the PSU. Most PSUs do not have one. The switch is not required by the Standard, but is an authorized option. Do note that even if a switch is present, the only way to ensure there is no voltage is to unplug. Not doing so only allows you to assume the PSU is not faulty. And since anything that plugs into the wall can kill, making such an assumption may prematurely remove you from the gene pool. (2) The connection is for a device designed to be "hot-swappable", such as some USB devices, and some hard drive (usually RAID) setups. Monitors and graphics cards are not designed to be hot-swappable, therefore you must ensure you properly power down both before bringing them into electrical contact with each other.

Note: With swapping monitors, you don't have to worry about drivers to test if you have video - all monitors (unless very old) are Plug and Play and all graphics cards know how to display in several common resolutions on Plug and Play monitors.
I understand most of your message; I need to study it further but bottom line,I will power all off as you indicated. I forgot to mention that two days prior to this monitor ?glitch, I downloaded sp3. Perhaps there is a connection. I will try to write to M.S. I have the disc on order for $10.03. just in case the petition to extend xp for awhile proves positive. I have already checked all cables and blown out dust. So far so good. Thanx again for all the advice.

I forgot to mention that two days prior to this monitor ?glitch, I downloaded sp3. Perhaps there is a connection.

Not if it worked after you installed and rebooted.

I will try to write to M.S.

I don't see that as doing any good - this does not appear to be an operating system problem - rather, if anything at all, it appears to be a 4 year old computer problem. :(

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI