This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Mixed Access to a Router

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi There, Is it possible to have a laptop connected to a wireless router wirelessly and at the same time a desktop PC which is already connected to the router (though wired)? Will they both work if connected to the router albeit one wirelessly and the other by cable? I hope this makes sense!! Regards, Norman
Hi Ztrucker Thank you for your response. My question was an 'in principal' one and I shall soon endeavour to put it to the test. If I get into trouble, I'll be back here! Regards, Norman
Not only will it work, but you can set it up so you can share files and printers between systems connected through a router. I have 3 computers networked this way. Web Server - XP Pro - Has two printers attached Desktop - Windows 7 Pro - uses printers on Web Server - shares files and folders with Web Server and Laptop Laptop - XP Pro - uses printers on Web Server - shares files and folders with Web Server and Desktop
Hello Again Z,

So, can I leave the existing PC that is connected by cable to the router and then add the laptop (when purchased) wirelessly assuming the laptops finds the wireless network (and why wouldn't it)?

Norman

P.S. Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live!
Yes. Do take the time to read through some of the articles at PracticallyNetworked.com. When you use a wireless router, it's a good idea to secure it with some form of encryption, WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc. The router comes with this capability, you just need to set it up. The CD that came with the router may even help you do this. If not, the users manual will tell you how.
Hello Z, Thanks once again. I should be trying it sometime over the next few days and will revert to your expertise should I encounter problems (as surely I will!). Regards, Norman
That will work without no problem. Connect the PC to a router using the Ethernet cable and laptop can be connected wireless to the Internet.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI